This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wording questions

What does "All claims for spousal support to be released on a final basis" mean ?

And

If my ex sent an offer to me, why am I listed as the Applicant ? Wouldn't he be the Applicant, and myself the Respondent as I'm responding to his original offer ?

Thanks

It means you are agreeing that you can't come back and seek support later, for example if you lose your job.

When you file a suit with the courts, you are the "applicant" and you remain the applicant all the way through. Many of the documents and the judge's decisions will refer to the "applicant" and "respondent" and if it changed back and forth it could be misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
      It means you are agreeing that you can't come back and seek support later, for example if you lose your job.

When you file a suit with the courts, you are the "applicant" and you remain the applicant all the way through. Many of the documents and the judge's decisions will refer to the "applicant" and "respondent" and if it changed back and forth it could be misunderstood.
      Thanks Mess...

So for point 1...would this be for both parties ? or does it have to be 'spelled' out...

Second-I assumed that as he sent the first offer that he would be the applicant. Thanks for the explanation-Agreed you would keep the same term throughout the process...

Comment

The intent of that statement is for a final release on both sides, but it would take more than just that sentence to make sure it is binding.

For a spousal support release to be really iron clad one sentence isn't going to do it. I know the spousal support release I have is about 2.5 pages long, and was coincidentally the only part of my offer to settle that my STBX did not object to.

And Mess is right about the Applicant and respondent thing.

SD

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X