Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Provide evidence for effort to find a new job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provide evidence for effort to find a new job?

Hi all,

I am currently on EI, my ex doesn't pay spousal support, but we share the extra activities and the daycare costs, since it depends on the income - we need to change the division of costs now.
    My ex is asking for: my Record of employment, the proof of income (I provided the new number $), and "proof of your attempts to find other employment".
    Question - which information do I HAVE to provide?
    Provide the proof of my attempts to find a job seems to be a little extensive to me. Thank you!

You just have to provide proof of your income. If she wants proof of your job search she can take it to court.

Comment

Hi AD

I don't know what is officially "required" but when my ex requested this just after we separated, I provided a copy of my current resume and a list of all jobs applied to. The list included company name, position applied to and rate of pay if posted. I just typed it up in a Word document.

I applied to everything, even things that I was over qualified for. I had been a stay at home mom so it wasn't easy. Eventually I took the first full time job I was offered (McDonald's) and worked my way into the school board eventually (what my diploma is about).

I think it is reasonable for ex to want to make sure you are making efforts to find a job. Why are you reluctant to provide it to her?

Good luck to you.

Comment

Also, if you aren't working, can you take care of the child to help reduce daycare costs?

Comment

Court most definitely would require you to provide proof of job search activities. Typically people have to provide this as well do they not? Anyhow, sooner or later your EI will run out. Your ex can have income imputed to you. Your choice will be to not work and have FRO chase after you or to get a job and help provide for your children.

Comment

My partner went through this. Getting it organized and putting it together was a monster task. He had separate resumes for types of job, went to job fairs, attended open houses and applied online. We shared with friends who applied through their contacts too. His lawyer said it wasnt required for his ex but he would have to prove it should she fight for imputation.

Comment

Originally posted by almostdivorced2017 View Post
              Hi all,

I am currently on EI, my ex doesn't pay spousal support, but we share the extra activities and the daycare costs, since it depends on the income - we need to change the division of costs now.
              My ex is asking for: my Record of employment, the proof of income (I provided the new number $), and "proof of your attempts to find other employment".
              Question - which information do I HAVE to provide?
              Provide the proof of my attempts to find a job seems to be a little extensive to me. Thank you!
              Many vindictive, or lazy, exes drop their income after separation, either being voluntarily underemployed or even unemployed. This is done to punish the ex financially or to mooch off the ex's greater income, by increasing their CS and s7 proportion.

I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but it's not uncommon.

IF that's you, your ex has every right to ask a court to have an income imputed to you, meaning that the system pretends your income is what you are capable of making, and proportions are calculated accordingly.

IF that's not you, you need to provide proof that you are making every effort to regain your previous level of income. This is done through giving copies of all documentation related to your income and your job hunt.

Comment

It is sometimes hard to find employment. How long do the courts feel is reasonable to find a full time job?

Comment

I found one case: Verhy v Verhy (i think) that the judge said 75 jobs was adequate due to the payors age and skill set.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X