Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated

I'll try and be brief but with alittle history
    Divorced... 50/50. At start I paid offset CS which was only $130 (2010). I gave half for sports and winter stuff even tho I wonder or wasn't sure what $130 covered (I know not much ) wanted to avoid fighting and as I said. 130 wasn't breaking me
    Last year. Bumped to $215 since she's been off work... continued paying half for same reasons as above...
    Now I'm going to adjust support to $360 as she's still off work... and now we are in territory of paying that but now I don't feel half of everything should be included as the expenses are extraordinary and our agreement, like most is vague.. lol
    I'm told to be a father. Think of my son. He's going to have to do without things because she can't afford to enrol in certain things. Ect.
    I'm tired of feeling like an ATM... and that $360 should cover a winter coat. Ball registration. A simmer camp. Ect
    What's the CCB? I figure she's around $200+ for that a month... is that not for him?
    She claims in income tax...netting a $5000+ return....???
    Curious as to others points of view on this

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally, CS covers ordinary costs of living, such as clothing, food, shelter, and minor expenses and entertainments/hobbies. CS is nearly always done by a table chart, going by the parents' incomes and their time arrangements. You said you are 50-50, so the higher income pays the lower income a reduced amount of CS, to help even things out in each house. Since your ex is not working when she should be, you may want to look into having an income imputed to her, because the offset CS system is not meant to be a supplement to lost income for someone not working to their full potential. Then your CS would not go up just because she hasn't bothered to get a new job.

Section 7 covers the extraordinary costs of raising a child, typically major medical/dental bills such as braces, educational costs such as university tuition, and daycare and summer camp costs, and sometimes extracurricular stuff that's too big an expense to be covered by CS, like specialized music lessons for a prodigy or something. If an intact family would have to have a sit down meeting to plan how to afford something on their combined incomes, it's an extraordinary expense now that the two incomes are separate.

s7 expenses are nearly always shared proportionally to income. If you make double what your ex makes, for example, your proportion is 67% and hers is 33%.

For your specific examples:

Winter jackets and sports gear are covered by CS. Since the kid lives equally in both houses, you likely have one set of each at each house anyway.

Summer camps are always s7 and should be divvied up proportional to your incomes.

Ball registration is a grey area. Would it be financially easy for an intact family of your combined incomes to afford it? Then it's covered by CS, and whoever registers him and will be taking him most often should pay it. Is it a financial hardship that requires both parents to make some sacrifices so the kid can play his beloved sport? Then it's extraordinary.

Don't fall for your ex's BS about 'be a father, think of your son, he'll have to go without because she can't afford it' pressure. SHE should be a mother, think of her son, and work hard to find a job so she can afford things so he doesn't go without. You're the one doing the same amount of work you always have for him, while she's the one who isn't. An intact family making less money might have to cut out some kid activities. Same thing here. With her not working, there is simply less money available.

CCTB (or whatever it's called now) should be divided by CRA since you each have 50-50 access. It may be a bit of work to get things adjusted, but you should do it.

Comment

Yeah. I plan to figure out the CCTB. It looked like I'd get $131 based off calculator... but didn't seem right she would get $210 and me 131 for 12months or 6 ea?
      In any event... she's off on sick leave. So she's still employed... just "unable" to work due to health.
      Thus 55k drops to 35k but the. Talks of going on CCP , which by my calculations is $24k or so?

And not sure the summer camp would be extraordinary. If you look at my screen shot
      Mother made $28k (less than my ex)
      Gets 200 in CS (less than I pay)
      And the judge deemed the $567 expense wasn't extraordinary

Just to clarify. Thanks for the insight as well.
      She rents half a house. Guessing $1200+ and has a new 2015 Kia Soul as well.

Comment

Originally posted by phatkid77 View Post
        Yeah. I plan to figure out the CCTB. It looked like I'd get $131 based off calculator... but didn't seem right she would get $210 and me 131 for 12months or 6 ea?
        The amount is related to your income. Higher incomes get less.

Originally posted by phatkid77 View Post
        And not sure the summer camp would be extraordinary. If you look at my screen shot
        Mother made $28k (less than my ex)
        Gets 200 in CS (less than I pay)
        And the judge deemed the $567 expense wasn't extraordinary
        There are three things that are pretty much universally accepted as s7, no matter how high the parents' incomes: Braces, post-secondary tuition, and daycare/summer camp.

Daycare and summer camp are extraordinary because they are nearly always required for the parents to earn income or attend school. The only way to get out of it would be if a parent was available to take care of the child, making the expense optional.

Driver's Ed is completely optional for a kid.

Comment

Guess that saves me as we don't require day care...
          A. She's off work. Lol
          B. She has son when she's off and I have him when I'm off. So summer camps are required to allow her or I to earn income

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X