Free Child Care Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Child Care Ontario

This should help some of the parents with younger children in Ontario.

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/...utm_campaign=p

Unfortunately, the Liberal party has very little chance of getting elected so this is possibly a pipe dream. I strongly support equalized daycare to promote increasing the birth rate in Canada from - to +.

Comment

Not to mention the negative impact this will have for thousands of home daycare providers who will be out of a job, many of whom operate so they may be home to raise their own children, now forced to put their children in state run care while they go to work elsewhere.

I object to paying daycare for families who can afford to pay for it. The province didn't have enough money to fund the needed spaces for subsidized care, somehow they magically have money to pay for everyone's daycare. Why not just spend the money to fill the gaps in subsidized care instead?

Benefits should be for everyone, not just those with kids. Perhaps if they fixed the issues with the cost of hydro, for example, people could afford their own daycare etc.

Comment

This announcement is bs. There arent enough licensed daycares in Ontario or the GTA where the real need is. Plus, for parents with a child in school already, this means possibly two daycares to worry about as the after school care is limited as well. The govt put so many restrictions on home based daycares which led to this problem in the first place. Its ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          This announcement is bs. There arent enough licensed daycares in Ontario or the GTA where the real need is. Plus, for parents with a child in school already, this means possibly two daycares to worry about as the after school care is limited as well. The govt put so many restrictions on home based daycares which led to this problem in the first place. Its ridiculous.

Agreed... the wait for childcare is ridiculous and because spots are so limited the cost is driven up. In order for this to work money needs to be poured into creating new childcare facilities, providing education to those who wish to work in childcare facilities and ensuring those who do work in the childcare facilities are paid a reasonable wage.

The town we live in is growing, it is expected over 10,000 new people will be in the area in the next few years thanks to the life extension going on at Bruce Power... our schools are already filled to the max and even more so that schools in surrounding towns (up to 40 min away) have been closed and those students are being bussed to the schools in my town, there is only one licensed daycare in town and the wait list on that is almost 2 years, especially for a toddler. The developers are building multiple town homes throughout the community to house the incoming people, but there is no where for their children to go. What about children under 2.5? It’s tough even trying to find child care for a 2 year old, let alone a child younger than that. The new parental leave is nice if your other half makes a good wage but it’s not feasible for many, many families.

This is yet another empty promise to try and buy votes. I truly hope people don’t fall for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe thats why she did it. Knowing it wont work because there aren’t enough daycare centers that are eligible!!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
              Benefits should be for everyone, not just those with kids. Perhaps if they fixed the issues with the cost of hydro, for example, people could afford their own daycare etc.

Making hydro cheaper generally helps the rich and the factories more than the poor. I don't see it as being any better or worse than free daycare.

That said, assuming that you think cheap hydro is an intrinsic good, how does one make hydro cheaper? The only real way to do so is to increase cheap generation.

Cheap generation:
              1) Nuclear
              2) Hydro
              3) Coal

Average generation
              1) Gas

Expensive generation
              1) Wind
              2) Solar

Unless a party has plans to reopen coal power plants, flood some Indian burial grounds or build some more reactors, hydro will just continue to become more expensive. Since no party is proposing any new cheap power generation, it follows that no party is really going to make hydro cheaper.

Comment

I would recommend you all read the recommendation in detail. There is a well-researched report attached to the announcement. The author was just on CBC radio.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                  I object to paying daycare for families who can afford to pay for it.
                  But imo you do in a way, while in an intact family with a dual income most families wouldn't qualify for subsidized daycare, but as soon as they separate then as a single parent they can apply with just their salary and qualify. And the other parent by default gets their daycare paid for by you the taxpayer, regardless of their salary.

Comment

They needed to add more details to this announcement. It was left vague to attract votes but all it has resulted in is anti-Liberal sentiment. Plus it was a stupid announcement to begin with as the problem isn’t just affordable daycare. Here’s why:

1. There is not enough child care space in Ontario. In the GTA and extending out to a 3 hour radius around that area, the waiting lists are sometimes 1-2 years long. You have to get child care set up BEFORE you get pregnant.

2. There is a big difference between licensed day cares and home daycares. Most licensed day cares are institutional. Like YMCA or Montessori. Home daycares have different rules and expenses than big business daycares.

3. The rules on daycare have been changed in the last year due to so many home based day cares having injuries and death. As an example, you can only have five children to one adult and that includes the owners children. You can only have (I think) two children under the age of 2 in that five and the daily limit of five includes before and after school. Which means that if I have a child, I can only have four other children and no more than two under two. For my daycare to survive financially, I would not be able to take school kids because I would lose a full day income over before/after school care. Yes this sucks for me but why would I do this if it wasn’t a financial benefit in some way? Would you want to look after other peoples kids for free?

4. There are not enough before/after school spaces. The waiting lists for those spots are up to 2 years. If you have an infant and a school aged kid, you would need to consider two different day cares. Think about how that would impact a parent working 9-5 who has to get two kids ready, pack a lunch for them-self and one kid, get out the door to two locations and then to work. All with the commute times in many areas of Ontario. Ditto on the way home. You walk in the door at 6:30 - 7 trying to get dinner on the table.

5. It will take at least two to three years (maybe five) to get the additional facilities up and running and staffed plus the volume of licenses to be prepared and put in place meaning more time and money to do so.

6. Facilities of these types are not cheap to run. They won’t open unless they have the money and the kids to fill the spots. If this program will be scrapped by future governments then the planning will be harder as business owners wont want to set out to fail and lose business. If the fund is cancelled, they will lose kids because parents won’t want the high cost.

7. The costs will simply be shifted to another area. Parents won’t pay daycare but will more than likely pay for things like clorox wipes, milk, food, craft supplies, kleenex etc. many daycares now demand parents pay for all of these extras like cleaning supplies for their kids. They will up the amount of supplies required to help offset other costs.

8. Not every parent wants their kids in an institution. These spaces don’t apply to the home based day cares. If your kids are already in a small location that you like with a lower cost, would you pull them out to go to a care factory for possibly free care but other costs in travel and supplies? In the end it may be more expensive to take a free spot over a non-free spot.

They should have looked at looser rules on home based daycares or providing a sub-license to these daycares and put the money into inspections and better reporting tools for those that are an issue. That daycare in vaughn that had 20 kids strapped to chairs all day where the little girl died due to neglect was what prompted the regulations change. It had been reported repeatedly and nothing happened. Some moms want to stay home with their kids so they run child care in their home but its not worth it financially if they only have a couple of kids. Then that adds more kids needing care and so on and so on. They also could have added more before and after school care spots or a day care in the school so siblings can go to the same location. This is throwing money at the problem not a solution.

Comment

how much does day care (home and otherwise) cost nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
                        But imo you do in a way, while in an intact family with a dual income most families wouldn't qualify for subsidized daycare, but as soon as they separate then as a single parent they can apply with just their salary and qualify. And the other parent by default gets their daycare paid for by you the taxpayer, regardless of their salary.
                        True, but this is a lot fewer families than every family.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                          Unfortunately, the Liberal party has very little chance of getting elected so this is possibly a pipe dream. I strongly support equalized daycare to promote increasing the birth rate in Canada from - to +.
                          Then we will be living in Fordnation. I can't see Ontario voting for him.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post

***DISCLAIMER, Here comes a rant...verbal diarrhea as the saying goes***

If I am not mistaken, subsidized daycare takes into account both parents salaries regardless of if they are intact or not. Its the same situation if a child applies for Gov't grants and student loans. Both parents salaries, married or divorced are taken into account.

There is one reason why our Canadian birth rate is on the decline and that's because we are tax poor and people simply cant afford to have kids. We are already way over burden with municipal, provincial and federal taxes and obligations. Now, to potentially expect people to absorb the cost of daycare for families who up until now have been finding a way to manage is ludicrous and crippling to the tax payers. What is next, will the other families with older children be looking for reimbursement for the thousands upon thousands of dollars they spent on daycare? Ask the tax payers in Quebec how they feel about their tax situation to the province! Having lived there for several years, I know first hand that pay much nigher taxes for subsidized daycare and for the ridiculous amount of "baby bonus" people get paid for every kid they have.

As a tax payer I am already paying way too much for social services on people who in a lot of cases don't require them, or will not over time re-contribute back into this ever expanding communal pot! Look at our health system, its crap. Canadian tax rates would dictate that we should have top tier healthcare yet we wait crazy amounts of time for services that in a lot of cases come too late. Birth rates be damned, I shouldn't have to pay for this crap! People have choices if they cant afford daycare. Improve their financial situation or don't have kids.....period!

We have Vet's living in the streets, Vet's who fought for the freedoms we enjoy yet our Gov't spends Millions of tax payers dollars on mobile crack houses so that the junkies have a safe and warm place to shoot up!

Ohh wait, I know where all this funding can come from....they can abolish our CPP plans we've been paying into forever just in an effort to help those who in a lot of cases refuse or resist to help themselves.

I know some of you will respond with some Gov't stats or a CBC report which might contradict what I am saying but truth be told, I am sick and tired of working my fingers to the bone to pay a ridiculous amount of taxes so that others may reap the benefits, benefits which in a lot of cases I am not even entitled too.

Sorry....Rant over
                            Last edited by cashcow4ex; 03-29-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post
                              If I am not mistaken, subsidized daycare takes into account both parents salaries regardless of if they are intact or not. Its the same situation if a child applies for Gov't grants and student loans. Both parents salaries, married or divorced are taken into account.

You are mistaken. In Ontario, the OSAP application clearly asks the marital status of your parents and what the income of the parent you live with.

The Liberal party won’t win the next election. More than likely Ontario is headed to a minority government. Then you can bitch about all your tax dollars being spent on another election.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X