• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granparents sued for CS

North Bay grandparents being sued for child support - Sudbury - CBC News

Interesting case - thanks.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

I have so many questions that are not answered in that article. Like, did the son who died have life insurance or survivor benefits? If he did, that is where CS from the paternal side of the family should come from.

And the hypocrisy of the grandparents: "We love her to pieces, and we'd do anything for her. But she's not our child. It's not our job to pay child support payments."

I guess they won't do anything after all. I can completely understand their attitude - here is their dead son's ex-wife demanding money from them - but they shouldn't have said they would do anything for her because that's clearly not the case. There are apparently limits to what they would do.

That said, it's not right at all for the dead son's ex-wife to hold their access hostage for the CS.

Interesting case. We'll have to watch for the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
        And the hypocrisy of the grandparents: "We love her to pieces, and we'd do anything for her. But she's not our child. It's not our job to pay child support payments."
        There is a huge difference between helping your grandchildren because you want to and being legally compelled by the courts. If the grandparents are forced to pay child support and don't or can't, wages can be garnished, driver's license and passport revoked, and they can go to jail for contempt of court.

I guess they won't do anything after all. I can completely understand their attitude - here is their dead son's ex-wife demanding money from them - but they shouldn't have said they would do anything for her because that's clearly not the case. There are apparently limits to what they would do.
        There are limits on what just about anyone would do for their children, grandchildren, etc.

The mother can certainly ask but I find this to be a very scary case if it goes ahead. Another case of, "no good deed goes unpunished."

Comment

Ha! Suck it grandparents rights advocates. I am on side with the grandparents in this matter. They should have no custody, access or other "rights" to the child nor should they be financially responsible.

Grandparents rights nutters: You can't have your cake and eat it too!

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
            Ha! Suck it grandparents rights advocates. I am on side with the grandparents in this matter. They should have no custody, access or other "rights" to the child nor should they be financially responsible.

Grandparents rights nutters: You can't have your cake and eat it too!

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Agree.
            With rights come responsibilities

Comment

Interesting case and I have to agree with Tayken... how many parents pay CS and get eow? If the grandparents are awarded that much access why wouldn’t CS follow? They are basically standing in place of the father. I to would like to know if the son has an insurance policy. If so, did any of that go towards CS for his child?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by foreverhome View Post
                Agree.
                With rights come responsibilities
                No, they do not. The Family Act of BC is a case in point. It provides that a father who has never resided with a child has no guardianship. The Act is silent on whether or not he would get away with not paying CS. What do you think that means?

Comment

And the hypocrisy of the grandparents...
                  I guess everyone has forgotten about they hypocrisy of the child maintenance enforcement agencies: "Parenting time is separate from child support. If she denies you access, you still have to pay. We will not enforce your parenting time, period." That is true hypocrisy.

This case just provides more opportunity for family law litigation and money for the lawyers. I'm crossing my fingers that the CS claim gets dismissed.

Comment

I believe this is extortion, and I believe a complaint to the law society against the mother's lawyer should be brought.

If the father or mother has passed away and the parents were acrimonious then the children's heritage (on the dead parents side) could be lost if access is not given to the grandparents of the dead parent. If you look at it from that perspective, it is in the child's benefit to have access to the grand parents for the child's benefit as the remaining parent is less likely to encourage the heritage of the dead parent. Grandparents shouldn't be penalized because of a benefit the children has received from their grandparents.

Grand parents did not make the choice to have sex and conceive the child, they shouldn't be forced to support the child. It should be their choice. Not court ordered.

Comment

From the article...

They were also officially made parties to a custody dispute between their son and the girl's mother, even though they say they weren't present in court when a judge made that decision.

They could not be made a party to that case without requesting it or knowing about it. They involved themselves enough that there's a good chance they will be paying CS. However, the access they currently have should not be cut off no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                        If the grandparents are awarded that much access why wouldn’t CS follow?
                        Access and child support are not linked, and for a reason.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X