Paralegals and Family Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paralegals and Family Law

It looks like soon paralegals will be able to offer some family law services in Ontario:

The Law Society of Upper Canada has approved a plan that will eventually expand the scope of family law to let paralegals offer some services in the area.
    LSUC to expand scope of family law for paralegals | Canadian Lawyer Mag
    Ottawa Divorce

Thanks Jeff.

I'm a bit perplexed though. Article mentions "9,000 paralegals that we’ve licensed..." so what would be different? Would paralegals' services be expanded to do what?

Comment

I think that the concern is paralegals who are already licensed won't have any training in family law.

The plan seems fairly general:
      http://www.lsuc.on.ca/uploadedFiles/...port-final.pdf

and refers to "some family law services" with examples but not much clarity as to specifics. It almost sounds like they are thinking of a separate certificate or something similar for paralegals.
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

I recall my ex using paralegal services for a while. My lawyer was annoyed at times. The paralegal completed the forms correctly but directed matter to wrong court sessions.

Court forms can be a real pain and paralegal services would provide a valuable service to self-represented. Would also be wonderful if the paralegal could go to courthouse and do all the filing.

Comment

For my matter, I didn't require legal advice. I just needed help filling in forms and filing them. It was annoying having to pay a lawyer to complete those tasks.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X