This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI - Gender gap in wages

Not making any point here other than to inform those separating/divorcing so FYI.....

DAVID PSUTKA
    Globe and Mail and Canadian Press
    May 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM EST

TORONTO — Young women are better educated but still make less than their male counterparts upon entering the work force, the latest census figures show.
    The Statistics Canada release on income and earning show women aged 25 to 29 made 85 cents for every dollar earned by men in the workplace in 2005 – a 15-cent gender gap that has remained constant in the last five years. The median income for women in 2005 was $32,104 compared with men who earned $37,104.
    The income gap has narrowed steadily over the last two decades, but froze in 2000 as the booming oil and construction industries put more money in the pockets of young men with less education.
    “What happened to that group is these young men in Alberta saw their earnings rise as the oil boom was in full force,” Statistics Canada analyst Rene Morissette said.
    “During that period, young women's earnings did not change that much. Obviously they're not in the same type of jobs as young men, so they did not benefit from the oil boom in Alberta.”
    In 1980, young women entering the labour market who worked full-time earned 75 cents for each dollar made by men. That number rose to 79 cents in 1990 and now sits at 85 cents.
    Young female workers have seen virtually no increase in their median income since 1980 despite a rapid rise in levels of education.
    The number of full-time women workers with a university degree has almost doubled since 1980, but median income has decreased $700. In 2005, 36.3 per cent of young women held a university degree compared with 22.4 per cent of their male counterparts, the study says.
    The income gender gap is less pronounced for highly educated workers. Full-time young women workers aged 25 to 29 holding a graduate degree or professional diploma earned 96 cents for every dollar made by their men with similar credentials.
    Among holders of bachelor's degrees, the gap was larger, with women earning 89 cents to every male dollar.
    In contrast, young women working in the trades made only 65 cents for every dollar made by a man.
    Certain employment fields showed near gender parity: men and women employed in the arts, social sciences, education, government services and religious occupations had nearly identical incomes. Conversely, sales, service occupations, and management still had disproportionately large income gaps between men and women.

That is very true in more ways than just financial. Where I work, I have the most experience, not only in age but in education, but because I am female I have to work very very hard to maintain my 'status' doing the same job I have been doing for years simply because a younger male is being given preference because he is male.
    I have even heard myself being referred to as 'the girl'.
    I am more respected than the male in question, provide better and timely feedback as well as build a rapport with my co-workers than he ever can or will; and in fact, co-workers have complained to management about the issues and yet he is still given preferential treatment.

Canada is so behind in the times that it's pathetic.

Comment

If you're interested in disparity in incomes between the sexes, another interesting link is WARREN FARRELL's WHY MEN EARN MORE. AUTHOR WARREN FARRELL, Ph.D

Comment

That is an excellent book. More women should read it and be honest with themselves.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X