No announcement yet.

First Appearance, What Should I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Appearance, What Should I expect?

A quick explanation of the situation if it matters is been separated for 5 plus years with no court order, Kids spent week days with her and weekends with me until the past Christmas, Since then she more or less disappeared, I had her served asking for custody during the second first week of February. Since that time children services has got a hold of me because of an issue on her end
    Children Services would not tell me about the issue

Later this week I will have my first court appearance with a court clerk. I have not been served any papers, and have not heard from the respondent.

What would the chance of her getting more time? Is there a chance the court clerk will submit it to a judge?

What should I have prepared for the first appearance?

The first appearance is to set a date for your first case conference. If she hasn’t served you yet, she still has time to serve you before the conference. If children’s services is involved they may file a report on their own. Your best bet would be to ask them if you need to add them as a party to the matter going forward.

Nothing will be decided at the first appearance so you don’t have to worry about that. If things escalate, you may want to request supervised access. Again it all depends on whether or not she has a safety issue or is a danger to the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update on the situation, she did not serve me or file any papers but had a lawyer come. In the end the court clerk moved it forward As an uncontested hearing, With the court date being end of May.

I believe I'm going to pay for a lawyer for that court date.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X