Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private school and extraordinary expenses

Hi all,

Is private school an extraordinary expense?

I feel if my ex and I work together we can afford it for our only child but he feels public is just as good and says he can’t afford it despite making more money than me. He feels it will hamper his livelihood for his future wife/kids. So m my question is : Would the courts consider it an extraordinary expense? We don’t have a custody order yet but I’ve had defacto custody for almost three years so does that count yet. Ideally I will like sole or joint with primary residence and final decision making authority if there is a disagreement. Otherwise what would be a convincing argument to put forward to advocate for this education. With all the changes in the school board I am hesitant with the public system at the moment. If it changes no worries but my heart is set on this affordable private school with ample opportunities for our child. Regards- Elomelelo

This has been discussed in another thread and I believe it was Tayken who said if a judge rules against a public school they effectively say publicly funded schools are bad and that bites the hand that feeds so to speak.

Bottom line, you won’t win a court case for private school.

Comment

I didn’t know it was discussed. Sorry. Can you direct me to the thread. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Elomelo8387 View Post
        he feels public is just as good
        Do you know who teaches at private schools? The teachers who could not get a job at a public school.

I've never understood why people will pay so much money for private school.

Comment

Hey. I would appreciate it if you have constructive feedback in its relation to extraordinary expenses. It’s a choice and i was very impressed with the extracurriculars and program it had and the credentials of the teachers and the reputation of the school. . That’s why I was asking.... my question had nothing to do with the employment prospect of teaching candidates 🤷🏻*♀️

Comment

Originally posted by Elomelo8387 View Post
            Hey. I would appreciate it if you have constructive feedback in its relation to extraordinary expenses.
            You are asking a judge to force your ex to pay tens of thousands of dollars for something that is otherwise free. You are going to need a reason that is much better than "I feel it would be better".

It’s a choice and i was very impressed with the extracurriculars and program it had
            If you choose to put your kid into an expensive school, that is your choice. If you try and force your ex to pay for your choice, that is where things get sticky.

my question had nothing to do with the employment prospect of teaching candidates 🤷🏻*♀️
            Do you have any evidence that shows that your choice is not just better than public school, but so much better that it is worth the absolutely exorbitant cost?

If not, then no, you have no chance of forcing your ex to pay for this.

Successful "force ex to pay for private school" cases usually have either:
            1) Kid already in private school for a few years
            2) School with a special program (elite sports, massive disability)

If you have neither, then you are going to have to pay for your private school choice all by yourself.

Comment

Thank you. I speculate this comment a lot. I didn’t think of it this way. Your right it wouldn’t be fair to him once you put it like this unless he already agreed.

Comment

Apreciate***

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X