Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Assets

Good afternoon...

I'm curious about valuation of digital assets. Business that was developed during marriage owns several hundred domains. How are these valuated? Does it make sense that a list of domains owned at time of separation would be assessed for their value (what they could be sold for?) and divided? Ex states he will stop paying annual registration fee so he loses ownership of them, rather than pay me for them.

TIA for any insight/advice!

IF you split the value you have to split the cost associated with maintaining the asset. You can't suck and blow at the same time!

Look on line there are Appraisal sites for this.

Comment

I'm not sure how that makes sense? If a business were valuated, and a truck was owned by the business, I wouldn't be paying for the maintenance of said truck.

My understanding of a business valuation is that as a spouse, not an owner or shareholder, I am entitled to half of the value of the business - not the liabilities.

Comment

Makes perfect sense... if there is a debt associated with the asset that is included in equalization. If a truck is worth $10,000 and there is an $8000 loan on it, the asset is only worth $2000.

I would think it would be similar in this case... if the domains are worth $10,000 but the cost to maintain those is $5000 the assets are only worth $5000... that's my opinion and I have been known to be wrong but I don't think you would be entitled to the asset when there are debts associated with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shyannes View Post
          I'm curious about valuation of digital assets. Business that was developed during marriage owns several hundred domains. How are these valuated? Does it make sense that a list of domains owned at time of separation would be assessed for their value (what they could be sold for?) and divided? Ex states he will stop paying annual registration fee so he loses ownership of them, rather than pay me for them.
          I have no idea how one would go about valuing a digital asset, but I'm sure there's value there, and some expert who could figure it out must exist.

But treat it just like any other asset. You divide the value as of the date of separation. If one of the spouses runs the value down afterwards, it doesn't change the value as of separation date.

It would be the same as if one spouse let the house fall into disrepair after separation because they didn't maintain it. They still owe the other spouse the share of the value as of separation date back when it was still in good condition.

If you both owned a mint Batman #1 comic on separation date, the value gets shared between you. You have to sell it, or one of you has to pay the other person half the value from other assets. One spouse can't just rip it up and say "HA screw you!" because they'll still owe the other, and now they won't have the asset for themselves.

If you owe someone $1000, and you spend all your money at Vegas, the debt doesn't just vanish.

Comment

If the domains have value, then sell them for that value and split the money.

If he lets the registrations lapse, then he has willfully depleted an asset, and likely will still have to pay you the market value at separation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X