Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50/50 access child support calculations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50/50 access child support calculations?

Could someone please tell me if there is usually a reduction in child support when access is shared 50/50?

I keep seeing the "offset" amount which I assume means the look up value.

I'm just looking for clarification on what that means and if there is any cost savings available for a parent that makes more but has the kids half time?

Thanks

Off set is one parent paying the other the difference in support. Both parents pay full table but the difference between the two amounts is what the higher earner pays to the lower.

You have to agree though. If one parent wants 50/50 and the other doesnt agree it could result in court. And if you go in saying you want to save money good luck to you.

Comment

You want the kids 50% because you are an equal parent. Don't even say the word child support. If you put anything in writing about child support, you could get destroyed.

Most parents do offset, where the difference in CS obligations is paid from higher to lower parent. Offset is not at all mandatory, (and is terribly unfair) but if you want to pay less than offset you need to gather evidence about the standard of living in the two households.

But until you have 50%, all you say about child support is "child support will be appropriate for the custodial situation" and leave it at that. I have seen fathers lose custody because the judge thought they wanted 50% in order to pay less support. They already assume that you want 50% to pay less CS, don't provide them with evidence that their assumption is correct.

As a sidenote, you can have 50% and the judge could still order that you pay table support. I've seen that happen too. You want shared because you want to be a real father.

Comment

Full table CS applies when one parent has the kids 61% of the time or more. You use the Federal guideline amounts based on the payer's income.

Offset support applies when both parents have the kids at least 40% of the time. This uses the Federal guideline amounts for each parent as if they were paying each other the full amount.

Example:

Parent A income: $45000 = $406 CS/month
        Parent B income: $75000 = $682 CS/Month

If Parent A has the kids more than 61% of the time, Parent B pays Parent A $682/month in CS.
        If Parent B has the kids more than 61% of the time, Parent A pays Parent B $406/month in CS.

If both parents have the kids over 40% of the time, they both pay support to each other in the same amounts:

Parent A income: $45000 = $406 CS/month
        Parent B income: $75000 = $682 CS/Month

Rather than both going through the motions of paying each other, the higher income earner/CS payor typically pays the difference to the other parent. In this case, Parent B would pay Parent A $276/month in CS (the difference of $682 - $406).

But I agree with Janus,

if there is any cost savings available for a parent that makes more but has the kids half time?
        This is a terrible statement and position and you should want to be an equal parent because you actually want to, not because of money. Cost savings are irrelevant. What you won't pay out in CS you will pay out supporting your children in your home. If you don't actually want to be an equal parent then just let them go to the other parent and send the money for the other parent to cover the expenses they will be picking up because you no longer have the kids at all.

Comment

I wonder if the OP was thinking about tax benefits. Yes it isn't a good idea to word it that you want more time with the kid(s) to get a financial benefit.

Comment

I WILL have the kids 50% of the time either way, but I just wanted to know if there is a gain for me or not.
            In the process of separating and this info helps with how to split things up.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, it is absolutely about having my kids 50% but I want to be able to do things with them too

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post

This is a terrible statement and position and you should want to be an equal parent because you actually want to, not because of money. Cost savings are irrelevant. What you won't pay out in CS you will pay out supporting your children in your home. If you don't actually want to be an equal parent then just let them go to the other parent and send the money for the other parent to cover the expenses they will be picking up because you no longer have the kids at all.
              Agreed, it sounds horrible online. Should have chosen my words differently.

I just want to be able to enjoy all the fun things in life while I have my kids, they are all I have now and if the spousal and child support is so high that we can only sit around and watch movies that won't be much fun.....I really am a great dad.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X