settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• settlement

in Ontario can you sue for more settlement money even though both parties willingly agreed at the time of the divorce to the amount?

my idiot ex is telling the boys that he could have gotten more money based on the sale of the house even though I bought him out.

my ex is basing this on the invalid facts, using a mortgage statement at the time of our separation but the value of our house presently.

although i know his calculations are wrong and you cant mix past with present values - i just want reassurance that I am safe either way.

Your never safe when it comes to family law.

Comment

Is it a substantial amount?

Comment

Generally, as long as everybody is honest and nobody is going to starve and there has been no change then probably not.

Comment

no i wouldnt consider it substantial

$30K - it would be foolish of my ex to pursue it, legal fees aside, i pardoned alot of things I would have been entitled to just to settle so it would be opening a massive can of worms

Comment

Nothing stops him from opening cans of worms - but if you divided the value of the hours fairly at the time (based on mortgage and market value at the date of separation), the worms aren't going to get too far. It sounds like the house has appreciated in value a lot since you bought him out. Real estate is like that - if this was 2008, it could've gone the other way. Don't stress about this. It's annoying that he's telling the boys this stuff (kids never need to know the financial stories of their parents' divorce), but eventually they will be old enough to see through him.

Comment

Originally posted by looloo View Post
              in Ontario can you sue for more settlement money even though both parties willingly agreed at the time of the divorce to the amount?

my idiot ex is telling the boys that he could have gotten more money based on the sale of the house even though I bought him out.

my ex is basing this on the invalid facts, using a mortgage statement at the time of our separation but the value of our house presently.

although i know his calculations are wrong and you cant mix past with present values - i just want reassurance that I am safe either way.
              1. Stop talking about this matter with "the boys".
              2. Stop talking about this matter with "the boys".
              3. Stop talking about this matter with "the boys".
              4. Don't call the other parent an "idiot" in front of "the boys".
              5. Don't call the other parent an "idiot" in front of "the boys".
              6. Don't call the other parent an "idiot" in front of "the boys".
              7. Don't meddle in what happens at the other parent's home.
              8. Don't meddle in what happens at the other parent's home.
              9. Don't meddle in what happens at the other parent's home.
              10. Ignore what the other parent tells "the boys" and enjoy your time with "the boys" and read this article: Your Social Worker - Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW

To answer your question... only on a material change in circumstance can the matter of the agreement be heard again. A material change would be if you provided false documents that undervalued the home and miss represented that they were from a professional etc...

Settlements are usually done on consent. If he consented to a bad deal and had full disclosure that it was a bad deal... Then it is his loss to bear.

Good Luck!
              Tayken

Comment

Tayken, I think you're jumping to conclusions. There's nothing here to suggest that the OP is behaving inappropriately with the kids or discussing things that are none of their business. It happens that kids come home from the other parent's house and say "Dad [or Mom] said xxx about you [or about the divorce, or whatever]". Sometimes they're just stirring the pot to see what will happen, sometime they're genuinely puzzled. There's no reason to think that the OP was talking trash about the kids' dad. Yes she refers to him as her "idiot ex", but this is a forum of other divorced adults, who presumably know how to take statements like that. It's a little hyperbolic, but it doesn't mean she talks about him that way around the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                  Tayken, I think you're jumping to conclusions. There's nothing here to suggest that the OP is behaving inappropriately with the kids or discussing things that are none of their business. It happens that kids come home from the other parent's house and say "Dad [or Mom] said xxx about you [or about the divorce, or whatever]". Sometimes they're just stirring the pot to see what will happen, sometime they're genuinely puzzled. There's no reason to think that the OP was talking trash about the kids' dad. Yes she refers to him as her "idiot ex", but this is a forum of other divorced adults, who presumably know how to take statements like that. It's a little hyperbolic, but it doesn't mean she talks about him that way around the kids.
                  It is general advice... read the attached article.

I assume that when a parent comes here complaining about the other parent's home they have not gotten the advice that is included in the attached article.

I was just tripling down on the advice...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X