X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.S. without financial statement + settlement conference

Hi, guys,

Need your advices about S.S. for settlement conference.

Next Monday is the settlement conference. I only have Ex's settlement conference brief. Ex-wife refuses to serve me the financial statement but still claim the S.S. The similar situation had happened on the Case Conference of this January, during which i refused to talk the spousal support due to lack of Ex's financial statement.

the fact is that i had already served Ex my financial statements according to the family law rule. Ex has a university degree and gets a job in a Hospital of downtown Toronto. but on her brief She still wants S.S.

I represent myself, EX has a lawyer. I believe my income is much lower than hers.

Give me some advices about how to properly deal with EX claim in the coming settlement conference.

Thank you

Nick, May 27, 2010

You did the right thing. You have filed your F/S and she has not. Cross claim SS on the basis that she makes your than you but has not yet filed a F/S.

Comment

Thank you dadtotheend

Probably I will not claim SS even if she earn more than i do. But I want to question Ex's entitlement of claiming SS at the front of the judge. However, I do not know how properly to raise this issue in the court.

could you give me some simple advice.

Thank you

Comment

The proper (if sad) way to deal with it is to push back, otherwise you send a defensive message that prolongs the court action, financially and emotionally.

This game for you is about asking for the sun and settling for the moon. And the court's game is to promote settlement.

Claim the SS. It will promote settlement in the long run, believe me.

Comment

Thank you very much dadtotheend

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X