Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Femme is on a distinguished road
Default repeatedly cancelling...what to think???

My ex and I have been separated for a year now.
We are both on our second lawyer.
He got a new lawyer when things weren't being handled controlling and aggressively by his first lawyer.
I had a legal aid lawyer.
His new lawyer was very aggressive and intimmidating towards my legal aid lawyer. Stressing her out completely. Threatening me with cross examinations, saying he was going to "beat me down", a lot of talk trying to scare me.
My legal aid lawyer could not compete with him.
I ended up getting a paid lawyer--as soon as I got this new lawyer, mysteriously my ex's lawyer stopped his aggressive/intimmidating behaviour.
He cancelled the cross examinations. (I don't believe he ever had them booked, it may have simply been an intimmidation tactic)
My new lawyer wrote him a letter, asking to have a 4-way meeting, to negotiate, in hopes of settleing this out of court.
It took him forever to confirm that meeting and now coming up to it, he has cancelled it as well---and said he isn't available until October now.

What should I be thinking of all this??? Is he just dragging this on/collecting as much money from my ex as he can. Does he have any intentions of taking me to actual court?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Send a reasonable offer to settle with an expiration date. If they don't respond or the date goes by, have your lawyer start the wheels in motion in court.

It'll take you at least 1-3 years to work your way through the court system anyway, and you can always negotiate at any time regardless.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Exquizique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBDad View Post
Send a reasonable offer to settle with an expiration date. If they don't respond or the date goes by, have your lawyer start the wheels in motion in court.

It'll take you at least 1-3 years to work your way through the court system anyway, and you can always negotiate at any time regardless.
Agreed. If it's important to you that things get resolved and wrapped up as quickly as possible, then rather than guessing at his intentions, just be clear and honest with yourself what your goals and objectives are, put forth a fair offer, and get the court process started. No point putting your life on hold indefinitely while he's dilly dallying for whatever reason.
Closed Thread