This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrimonial home / Spousal support

I think this should have been posted here...

Simple isn't always my strong suit but:

I have been separated for over a year, two children, shared/joint custody and, though it doesn't matter, the separation, which was predicated on us just "not getting along", was one I didn't want (though I no longer wish to reconcile and she does).

At the time of separation, in an effort to make sure the house remained affordable for their mother and allow me to buy and maintain my own home we signed an affidavit stating that:

- I would only take 1/4 fo the equity built up in the matrimonial home (half of my half) and give up all claim to the property
    - we would not be paying each other any spousal support
    - we would not be paying each other any child support
    - we would not hold any interest in each others pensions

I also took over the entire car loan (not mentioned in the affidavit).

We had no other debt or holdings. And do not have a formal separation agreement.

Present situation:

- she has mentioned spousal support
    - we have discussed child support
    - she is thinking of selling the house

As for Child support, despite the fact that I agreed to walk away from the equity in the home because niether of us would be burdened with paying child support, I'm willing to pay the differential (the difference between what we would be paying each other based on The Federal Child support guidelines if either of us had sole custody). Hey, it's for the kids.

My questions relates to the strength of the affidavit:

I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea that our financial issues were settled but, to anyone who has had to revisit a division of property:

1. Seeing as we signed an affidavit to no spousal support, would her asking for it now require a legal challenge to the document?

2. Is it automatically revisited at the time of divorce?

IF it is revisited:

3. If she were to ask for spousal support, (at the time of divorce or otherwise) would the equity in the home and the car debt I burdened become part of the equation?

4. If she sells the home, am I entitled to rest of my equity or is it a done deal?

Hope that's not too confusing.

Many thanks

The term "affidavit" is going to be confusing. Did you both receive independent legal advice prior to signing? Was the document witnessed by lawyers? Was the document registered with the courts? Each of these things matters.

If she sells the house and goes after spousal then you gave away half your equity for nothing. Normally in a separation agreement there is a clause regarding spousal where both parties waive any right to spousal that is clearly worded and binding.

Really there isn't nearly enough information here to begin answering your questions, ultimately you will need at least a consultation with a lawyer on this. If you are a bit clearer with us about what you signed then we can advise you somewhat.

Comment

- affidavit was signed with (witnessed by) a lawyer but without independant legal advice
      - affidavit not filed with courts
      - married eight years
      - we have both worked, consistently, full time, throughout the marriage and continuing still (neither of us staying at home at any point)
      - both university educated
      - we earn within 10k of each other - $76/$86
      - filed the RC65 last year
      - paperwork for CCTB/UCCB in but payements have yet to be split

Comment

see my reply in your other post

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X