Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:33 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

I make more than my husband, had my own property and investments.

We married for love though and I adore my husband. I was an older bride so I knew what I wanted and was mature.

You overlook that at this stage in your life most women are looking for companionship not a paycheque or a man to pay their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 11:25 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Mag View Post
Sorry but I fail to see the "attraction" of getting remarried?
In modern society there is very little reason to get married.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:35 PM

350 Mag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post

We married for love though and I adore my husband. I was an older bride so I knew what I wanted and was mature.

You overlook that at this stage in your life most women are looking for companionship not a paycheque or a man to pay their way.

I am glad you and your husband found each other.

I am not even sure HOW to start "dating" again? LOL

It's hard when the one you want is getting away.

I will be bitter for awhile but I am sure there are "positives" I am not seeing.

One being once the kids are gone and don't need you everyday I can go where I want....when I want....

Just have to get a babysitter for my dog....but the EX and I can share that responsibility.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:03 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
In modern society there is very little reason to get married.
absolutely agree. there is, however, a need for very detailed cohabitation agreements.

edit: wait. I just thought of something. Pensions- I would marry a future partner simply so they could receive my pension when I croak.

Last edited by iona6656; 01-19-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post

I'm just curious. Why marry? why not just live happily ever after?
Old 01-19-2021, 07:14 PM

For us it was for my protection. His kids were next of kin and I was concerned.

Plus I wanted to be his Mrs.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:49 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
absolutely agree. there is, however, a need for very detailed cohabitation agreements.

edit: wait. I just thought of something. Pensions- I would marry a future partner simply so they could receive my pension when I croak.
You can deal with the pension stuff with an agreement. You don't have to be "married".

https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/fami...g-your-pension
Old 01-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
You can deal with the pension stuff with an agreement. You don't have to be "married".

https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/fami...g-your-pension
:0 .... that's awesome.

But I see rockscan's point- romance and all that jazz. I mean- you don't need to legally bind yourself through the government. But marriage- there's a quote from a movie I recently saw that made me think about this discussion- The F Word (kinda underrated- Zoe Kazan and Daniel Radcliffe- it's good)- anyways, one of the characters says, as she's talking about declaring love and all that jazz,

"What's the best case scenario? [...] Look, the one thing I like about getting married is that you get to stand up in front of everyone you care about and state, for the record, that you believe in the best-case scenario. It terrifies me, but that's why the outfits are so nice."
Old 01-20-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
What's the best case scenario? [...] Look, the one thing I like about getting married is that you get to stand up in front of everyone you care about and state, for the record, that you believe in the best-case scenario. It terrifies me, but that's why the outfits are so nice."
HA! One of the things I told him was I wanted to stand in front of our friends and family and make a promise to him.

There are a few good legal reasons for getting married and for an older couple who have kids from their first marriages and build a certain life, sometimes the kids can take over against the newer spouse.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:50 PM

350 Mag is on a distinguished road

For better and for worse.

In sickness and health.

Blah blah blah blah.

Our own Catholic Priest recommended she leave IF she wasn't happy.

Unless there is adultery, documented abuse or something else serious going on Divorces should not be so easy?

Personality conflict or squabbling over money is NOT a reason for divorce....and IF it is....well then you were never really "in love" and had no business ever getting married in the first place!!!