Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

What happened at the first case conference and what did your lawyer do? Was the judge saying anything out of the ordinary?

Perhaps your lawyer may not be able to handle this? Or if your ex has a pit bull lawyer who wouldnt back down?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:31 AM

Lostforwords is on a distinguished road

Hi,

The date we married and him moving in are juat a couple months nothing significant. So he wont get the full half just from when he moved in. That really helps alot. Will the courts view it as that too? He accumalated during marriage and moved it before he filed. Its sad. I just dont even care i just want him out of my life take whatever he made and go. I just want this over and to protect my families hard work. I hope the courts will view it as only that and not the full half.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:49 AM

The judge didnt seem interested in the house when his side said they wanted half. My side wants to bring in my family and the judge wanted us to show an interest in the house from them. I am assuming that would be down payments, bills, mortgagte paynents etc.

His lawyer is a psycho she lied about the first ecc and my mouth was on the floor. I dont know if my lawyer is holding her catds bc its a cc or couldnt argue. There was ALOT we could have proven and argued back but nothing. Ss wasnt even brought up even though it was on the list. It seems like we are in a loop and no one is resolving this. This could be done so quickly if he would just be open to talking to me but his lawyer is guiding him. We saw that in court. Im lost i dint know what to do. Im going to speak to my lawyer but until then....
Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM

For a marriage of a year and a half you should stop thinking about spousal. If there is a child it should simply be about child support.

Your family living there and paying bills has little impact. The bottom line is when the house was purchased, when he moved in, when he moved out. Any other assets like RRSP or pension, properties purchased etc. during the 1.5 years would be relevant but other than all that, this is a no brainer.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:36 PM

Honestly i dont want any support from him. I would be so happy to settle tomorrow and be done. I think thos is gettingout of hand bc of the lawyers. I dont want this money spent on them. Rather babys future college, sports etc. This lawyer money is being wasted and it its like you guys are all saying i just checked... 10k.... i would give him that so we dont lose more to lawyers. His lawyer keeps putting in his mind he gets half. I dont know how to tell him stop wasting money lets settle. He wont listen to any of us. This canall be going to the babys future... think about her not us. Put her first lets move past this hostility. Even my lawyer keeps saying its a waste of $$$
Old 08-27-2019, 12:40 PM

The reason i brought up ss is bc nothing else is being resolved. Its one issue when we have alot more... i dont know why things that are to be covered in cc are being ignored and the focus is on one thing. Then motions are being brought from day 1 and used as threats againt my side. When do the other things get settled like disclosure, custody, house, etc when its only 1 issue being focused on. Im so confused
Old 08-27-2019, 01:08 PM

Ok Im lost.

You had a cc already? Or you have one tomorrow?

Almost everything you stated should have been in the initial filing. If there was a requirement for disclosure that would be ordered at the first cc and truly it should just be proof of the home ownership and dates of purchase.

Dont throw things in that are unnecessary. Demanding ss while youre in this mess is creating a bigger mess. Let him be unreasonable and get spoken to by a judge. Make a reasonable offer to settle and be done with it. If he keeps this up and continues to trial and he loses, he will then have to pay costs.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:33 PM

We had a cc. My lawyer said nothing to defens me. Disclosure was stated but instead of asking him to show bank records from 6 months to show $ being moved my lawyer did a general one asking for everything that doesnt apply to us. And the judge said so. All we needed from his side os 6 months of bank statements not for the 2 years my lawyer asked for. I think i need to switch lawyers. If we offee to settle ambefore motion and they say no will it help in the motion?
Old 08-27-2019, 01:38 PM

You should always do an offer to settle. No matter what, the offer insulates you from the time it is put forward.

Unless it is a lot of money or will make a great deal of difference then you really shouldnt be fighting for it. If it was an inheritance I dont believe you are entitled to it. You are simply spinning your wheels.

Make an offer to pay him half of the increase in value of the house while he lived there, shared custody with off set child support and ongoing disclosure of income until the kid finishes school.

Your lawyer doesnt need to defend you. Your lawyer is defending the argument which seems to be he is not entitled to anything. Drop the argument about what he is hiding and go from there. If he is hiding income for support purposes then fight for imputed income.

From the sounds of it, you are wasting just as much money too.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Oh i am. The lawyers ive spoken to which were recommended are saying do am offer too. Also i think he wont accept the value i think he wants half. If thats the case ot will be harder bc that is over 100k we are talking