This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Custody - Joint Physical Custody

My son's primary residence is his mother's house. I live 15 minutes from her house and 5 minutes from my 9 year old son's school. My son would like to come and live with me 2 weeks out of each month.

I 46, I have a home, my daughter from a previous marriage lives with me as well as my mother. I own my own business and am financially stable.

I have picked up a general application to file with the courts for shared custody. What type of supporting documentation do I need to include with my application to help me gain shared or joint physical custody?

I am curious what your son's mother says about the idea...

Comment

She is not aware at this point that I am seaking joint shared custody but I am sure she will be opposed to the idea simply because support payments would stop.

Comment

How long has your current arrangemnet been in place?

Comment

The current arrangement has been in place for about a year.

Comment

If the arrangement for access is not already on a 2 week basis then try and get it arranged first with your ex. Once it is in place for at least 6 months to show that it is an acceptable arrangement to both parents then try to get it in writing, hopefully it will be a mutual agreement based on the past 6 months, however my experience has been the minute I wanted it in writing my ex said no. If this happens then file the papers in court, keep track of how you have been fulfilling the role of a parent for the past 6 months with a schedule of 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off (day to day activities and care of the child, homework, cooking, cleaning, school dropoff and pickup, doctor appt, dentist appt, parent-teacher interviews, etc). Good luck.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X