Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM

dana2 is on a distinguished road
Default Settlement Conference Briefs

And finally one more question.

Do I have to file, each and every time a new settlement conference brief? I had one settlement conference, there is a brief filed in the continuing record, and a continued settlement conference was ordered.

I do not have anything new to say in my brief.

Do I need to file a new settlement conference brief, or I can reuse the old one?

The old settlement conference brief is still in the continuous record, I double checked. I think I can send the 14C confirmation and just mention that brief, thus saving time and money with making, filing and sending a new one.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM

OntarioMomma is on a distinguished road

I had 3-4 settlement conferences and filed a new brief each time. Ex didn't.
I don't believe it's necessary but the judge said he appreciated having a current copy. Each time I added in info about any discussion on agreement that ex and I had.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2016, 01:13 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Do I have to file, each and every time a new settlement conference brief?
Yes. If nothing has changed then it will be easy to prepare. Are these conferences not important enough for you to provide the judge with an updated brief?

Quote:
there is a brief filed in the continuing record
No there isn't. Conference briefs do not go in the continuing record. There may be a brief in the file, however court staff are supposed to destroy briefs after the conference (if it is not returned to the parties).

Quote:
I can send the 14C confirmation and just mention that brief, thus saving time and money with making, filing and sending a new one.
This can be done, if you are certain it is there and up to date.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:14 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
No there isn't. Conference briefs do not go in the continuing record. There may be a brief in the file, however court staff are supposed to destroy briefs after the conference (if it is not returned to the parties).
Quote:
(22) Case conference briefs do not form part of the continuing record unless the court orders otherwise and shall be returned at the end of the conference to the parties who filed them or be destroyed by court staff immediately after the conference. O. Reg. 89/04, s. 8 (5).
Rare for a court orders a conference brief to be part of a file but, they can be, if ordered.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:42 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure your old briefs say everything you want .. don't forget any important updates.

I treated my SC briefs very seriously and spent a lot of time on them. The briefs may not go in to the continuing record BUT .. the "golden" endorsements do. I enjoyed collecting these endorsements in my favor. As you know judges value the previous judges thoughts/opinions/orders. This is how they communicate with each other (strings of endorsements). So don't forget to kick a$$ in the SC and acquire those positive endorsements for the subsequent judge(s).
Old 03-10-2016, 06:04 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
are for a court orders a conference brief to be part of a file but, they can be, if ordered.
A case conference brief may be (but very rarely), however a settlement conference brief cannot be.

If it is a continued conference, it may be in the file but not the continuing record - quite literally as a loose document floating in the physical file.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 AM

dana2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, amazing support and answers. Filed yesterday a revised one