Health Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Card

writing this on behalf of my girlfriend.

Her separated ex husband keeps coming up with excuses on why he is not able to give her the health cards. He forgot them, they are elsewhere etc.

They do not have a written agreement but she has the kids on the weekend and he has them during the week.

She is trying to get an interim separation agreement but he is being difficult. Can she do anything else about this?

i.e. Children's aid.

Call children's aid over health cards?! I hope not.

Ideally the health cards should transfer with the kids. If not, your gf could always just hang onto a photocopy of the healthcard. Most places will accept this. In the unlikely event of an emergency, she can always call her ex and get him to bring the card to the hospital.

Your ex should be more concerned about going to court and getting an order in place for custody, access, support... and then you can bring up healthcards.

Comment

My stbx initially saw our children infrequently. Nevertheless, I made sure that the children had a photocopy of their health cards in each of their bags. I also ensured that he knew about this.

I figured if the number alone was good enough for the school board to reference in case of an emergency during a school outing, it would be good enough in any similar situation.

He now sees them almost eow... and they always have their OHIP photocopies with them. (I am confident that he made copies of these numbers long ago - although he'd never admit to having this information on file.)

If I had sent the children with the original cards, I'd likely never see those cards again - even though the children's primary residence is with me.

Comment

We had to take little one to the clinic because she was up 'till around 3am the night before with a relentless cough and by morning her temperature was climbing. She had been a patient at this clinic for over 4 years, but because it had been longer than a month since her last visit, they wanted to see the actual health card, not a photocopy. Ok...this is new.

We were issued the bill, $40 and told we have a month to provide them with the physical health card in order to be reimbursed. Not a problem, right? Why would Mom have a problem with that?...

Dad emails Mom a copy of the bill and asks that she allow him to bring the card to the clinic. "No, she (D6) was fine, you didn't need to bring her to the Doctor's in the first place."

Now, yes, Dr. didn't prescribe anything, but only said to give her sinus spray (sinuses irritated after her tonsils/adnoids surgery) and to keep a close eye on her temperature (was at that time 100)...but wouldn't you be grateful that the other parent was concerned enough to take her in and have her checked out?

Anybody else hear of clinics requesting physical health card after a period of time? This is strange to me.

Comment

That is not new as they have to ask for the actual card in order to avoid fraud.

The school do not take the card as they will be responsible if lost. They count that if there is an emergency that parent will be call up and will come with the card. Photocopy is only good for interim solution.

It does not prevent treatment but they have the full right to ask for the actual card at any point.

What you have to do is to arrange with them that either you or the parent with the card will come later to show it to them.

When you are a regular they sometime let it go. But more and more with new technlogy they may need to swipe the card.

Comment

My children are seldom ill. But you NEVER know when you might need medical intervention, right?

If I had been in this situation... as the Other Parent, I'd go to the clinic myself and present the OHIP card with a copy of the bill. I really cannot trust the Other Parent to return this card - even though I'm with the children 12 days out of 14 or even more.

Perhaps medical offices are trying to protect themselves - problems with people abusing the system with false identification? Perhaps it's another easy way to collect a fee here and there? Usually they only hold on to that card for a few minutes at best - often seconds just to compare that number with the one in their system.

I hope that your daughter is feeling better. Saying that a child didn't need to see the doctor in the first place does not come across as reasonable. Why not err on the side of caution? You acted in a reasonable and responsible way.

Of course there are parents who exploit their children's medical needs... in an attempt to establish that the other parent is neglectful, etc. I am not suggesting that is the reason behind her concerns. Just to be clear.

My stbx has tried that trick .... even claiming a dire need to take our son to the USA for treatment. Our son suffers from Hay Fever incidentally... and in Canada it takes awhile sometimes to see a paediatric allergist. If you know about Hay Fever, well, you probably understand it's common sense measures to minimize exposure to pollen, alleviate the symptoms, take over the counter antihistamines. Sorry for getting off track.

Comment

Dad would've been okay if Mom preferred to drop in the clinic herself and provide the health card...problem is, she'd have more than an hour drive to get there. Dad asked to have it for the wknd and then he'd return it, but then, for Mom to allow that, she would have to be out of her mind.

Ah well, can't do anything but shake our heads this time.

Comment

Originally posted by sjandme View Post
                I hope that your daughter is feeling better. Saying that a child didn't need to see the doctor in the first place does not come across as reasonable. Why not err on the side of caution? You acted in a reasonable and responsible way.

My stbx has tried that trick .... even claiming a dire need to take our son to the USA for treatment. Our son suffers from Hay Fever incidentally... and in Canada it takes awhile sometimes to see a paediatric allergist. If you know about Hay Fever, well, you probably understand it's common sense measures to minimize exposure to pollen, alleviate the symptoms, take over the counter antihistamines. Sorry for getting off track.
                Thank you, sjandme, little one is doing well. I hope your little guy isn't suffering. I can imagine it's challenging to keep him comfortable, especially this time of year.

Comment

I saw other threads on this, in the past, where it was mentioned that forum members were able to get a "transaction letter" or some kind of statement letter from the Ministry of Health/Service Ontario.

They are unable to provide a duplicate of the health card itself. Apparently, this letter will also do? However, I have called them a couple of times in the past, to inquire about this, and the people I talked to, had no idea what this was, so I'm not sure.

I haven't bothered looking into it more, as I was able to get a photocopy of the healthcard for now (no thanks to ex), so figure that will do for now, until I hit an issue trying to use it.

Comment

If your ex won't give up the health card, ask them to go to city hall or wherever and ask them to get it photocopied and notarized. That should be enough as most healthcare places will understand the divorced dilemma...

You can ask them to get notarized copies of the birth certificate, sin card, passport, etc while they're at it...

Comment

You can call the agency that dispenses the cards, and ask them to send you a letter that outlines the children, and their card information.

You cannot have TWO copies of the cards, however you CAN get a letter from the governing agency that is just as good.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                        You can call the agency that dispenses the cards, and ask them to send you a letter that outlines the children, and their card information.

You cannot have TWO copies of the cards, however you CAN get a letter from the governing agency that is just as good.
                        In fact, all you need to get service for the child in question really is the residential address and date of birth of the child in question. If you have your agreement and court order even better.

All jurisdictions of Canada have a client registry for which most, if not all, acute care settings can lookup the health insurance number directly from. The card is just a quick way of verifying the record with a scan or swipe.

All you need is the child's name (full), date of birth and to confirm the residential address for which the information is registered to. Generally the separation agreement should be enough to demonstrate you are a parent.

PDF the agreement you have in place and put it on your mobile device. Even Blackberry's have PDF viewers.

I am not sure why this poster is having such an issue with this. Many parents forget their children's health cards when going to an emergency room. They won't deny health care if you can provide the appropriate information for them to look up the child's record. Especially in an emergency situation!

Good Luck!
                        Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                          In fact, all you need to get service for the child in question really is the residential address and date of birth of the child in question. If you have your agreement and court order even better.

All jurisdictions of Canada have a client registry for which most, if not all, acute care settings can lookup the health insurance number directly from. The card is just a quick way of verifying the record with a scan or swipe.

All you need is the child's name (full), date of birth and to confirm the residential address for which the information is registered to. Generally the separation agreement should be enough to demonstrate you are a parent.

PDF the agreement you have in place and put it on your mobile device. Even Blackberry's have PDF viewers.

I am not sure why this poster is having such an issue with this. Many parents forget their children's health cards when going to an emergency room. They won't deny health care if you can provide the appropriate information for them to look up the child's record. Especially in an emergency situation!

Good Luck!
                          Tayken
                          I tried the photo copy thing along with my own ID, didnt work. ex continues to "forget" to send the card. perhaps its time to start a change.org petition to ontario services to begin issuing two cards to separated parents.

Comment

Originally posted by sahibjee View Post
                            I tried the photo copy thing along with my own ID, didnt work.
                            Please provide the name of the health care provider, institution and other details who refused to provide health care services who refused to provide care.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                              Please provide the name of the health care provider, institution and other details who refused to provide health care services who refused to provide care.

Good Luck!
                              Tayken
                              It was in April 2013, i will try to recover the exact date, but the clinic was
                              children's after hours clinic. 235 Danforth Avenue, Suite 100, Toronto, ON M4K 1N2,

my son was suffering from pollen allergies, the receptionist said they need to see the original card because photo copy dosnt have a picture on it (and the original card dosnt either! duh).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X