This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support for children in post secondary

How does anyone calculate support for their children who are in post secondary?

If you didn't want to use the child support tables to calculate, what are other ways to determine monthly amount?

edit; Children live at home, shared custody.

The tables. Other than that, you would use whatever you can get agreement on.

If the issue is forced to court motion, the tables will get used.

Comment

The thing is, is my lawyer is advising me that the tables are not always appropriate for children over the age of 18 and some judges use the tables and some don't.

So I understand that support can be set at what ever we can agree on. I agree with him, he changes his mind. He finds any amount as punitive to him. He reluctantly wants it set at the amount I pay for utilities and some food and he indicated he finds this amount as being too much.

The ex goes round and round on what he wants. So I'm looking for ideas and what others may be doing in this situation.

Comment

Most often, for "kids" in university/college, assuming non-residing with CP, NCP pays 1/2 the table amount for the months away, full table for the months back home as well as S7 to be shared pro-rated to NDI - with kid paying a 1/3 of expenses. My "kid" is leaving home for good, and I have asked NO table amount, only S7 to be paid directly to the kid. Good luck, lots of cases on CANLII to check out...

Edit: if your kid is staying home with CP, then the tables continue to be used of course... Above was relevant to kids going away to study...
        Last edited by torontonian; 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X