This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Benefits

I currently have benefits with the company i work for. My common law wants me to still cover him under my benefits even though we live apart and are no longer together. Is this even legal from a benefit standpoint? What if i meet someone else and move in with them, i wont be able to get coverage for them then? If we dont have the same address, how can i submit his claims.
    Does anyone know if an insurance company would go for this.

thanks

It is common for a spouse or common law spouse to stay on a person's coverage. Usually it is requested through the courts, and in the case of CL, the courts look at the duration of the relationship plus the position of the person requesting that they stay on the benefits. If this person has a decent job without benefits but can afford their own independent coverage, of if they have their own company coverage (even if it is not as good as yours) they may not win a request to remain on your coverage.

As for meeting someone new and starting a new relationship, there is always the option of a time limit on the coverage, maybe a year to help the other person out while they re-establish themselves.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X