Increasing access time? Unfair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
    Child support payments is very relevant, and the wording of your order is very relevant. You need to stop giving bad advice on things you clearly are not aware of.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...dependant.html

If your "proof" is not worded in a very specific way regarding child support payments and parenting time, your claim is likely to be rejected and you need to get the wording of your order changes - typically requiring a trip back to court if the other party is not cooperative.
    Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
    The point isn't that your agreement says who collects tge benefits.

How am I the one giving bad advice? I am giving perfectly accurate advice for the child tax benefits. You are talking about a tax credit and for reasons unknown to me referring to it as a tax "benefit". We're not even talking about the same thing here. I am talking about a benefit, you are talking about a credit but calling it a benefit. Your terminology doesn't match up with the CRA.

Thanks for the additional info though. Just please make sure you are using the right terminology in the future.

I just amended my tax return to add the claim that I have an eligible dependent for this tax credit. My court order says neither parent shall pay the other any child support due to shared parenting.

Google child tax benefits - search results CCB - B for Benefit - what I am talking about
    Google eligible dependent credit - what you guys are talking about but referring to as "benefit".

Two different things. Learn something new every day! Which is I'm excited to kill 2 birds with one stone now. I think my agreement will be okay for number 2, if not, well, back off to the court we go!

Comment

Originally posted by calvinfive View Post

I just amended my tax return to add the claim that I have an eligible dependent for this tax credit. My court order says neither parent shall pay the other any child support due to shared parenting.
      If your ex is doing the same thing. CRA will hold both your returns until you guys figure something out. My ex did the same thing, changed his return to try to claim the credit. Held up my return and his. We had no order last year. But once I sent in letters showing that he started paying voluntary child support last December- he was disallowed any claims to the eligible dependent credit or UCCBs.

So, it would make more sense for you guys and to work it out amongst yourselves who claims it. Alternating years seem most appropriate.

My ex tried to ask for us to alternate years at our settlement conference and judge said if it’s not shared custody it’s not appropriate. I guess it never hurts to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
        If your ex is doing the same thing. CRA will hold both your returns until you guys figure something out. My ex did the same thing, changed his return to try to claim the credit. Held up my return and his. We had no order last year. But once I sent in letters showing that he started paying voluntary child support last December- he was disallowed any claims to the eligible dependent credit or UCCBs.

So, it would make more sense for you guys and to work it out amongst yourselves who claims it. Alternating years seem most appropriate.

My ex tried to ask for us to alternate years at our settlement conference and judge said if it’s not shared custody it’s not appropriate. I guess it never hurts to ask.
        Exactly this. Only one person can claim the eligible dependant, and if you both try to claim and cannot agree, neither parent gets it so just randomly making changes online without discussing and coming to an agreement with the other parent doesn't help anything, it only complicates it, and a lot of the time causes, interruptions to any CCB or child-related payments being received by either party. This in noway benefits the child.

Comment

She never asked me before filing her claims for it??? Oh right, this forum only sees things in the fault of the father.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
            My ex...
            I'm not your ex.

Comment

Originally posted by calvinfive View Post
              She never asked me before filing her claims for it??? Oh right, this forum only sees things in the fault of the father.
              If she had sole custody before- why would you she ask? I didn't ask my ex if I could claim it. It was for 2018- D3 lived with me full time.

If your daughter lived with your ex full time for 2018. Why should she ask? If she lived with both of your equally...then, given how much you post on here- I would've thought you would've brought up the issue with your lawyers since your parenting plan and agreement is SOOOOOO extensive and thorough.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X