Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Mikey is on a distinguished road

I am talking about the total division of assets. What was totally overlooked was what my ex took from the savings. It was several hundred thousands and she moved that money all within 6 months prior to departing. Because she did that before she filed for divorce, and I had no idea that she had moved that money, my lawyer said that it was her money as much as mine, so I could not claim it. Then doing the math, she did absolutely get 80%.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I am talking about the total division of assets. What was totally overlooked was what my ex took from the savings. It was several hundred thousands and she moved that money all within 6 months prior to departing. Because she did that before she filed for divorce, and I had no idea that she had moved that money, my lawyer said that it was her money as much as mine, so I could not claim it. Then doing the math, she did absolutely get 80%.

But you weren’t involved at all in your banking and she took advantage of that. She gamed you because you were ignorant. It’s not the courts fault.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Mikey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all replies and advice.
My main point I made here is a warning to everyone reading this thread. Man or woman. Never trust anyone. I was fooled and my wife was dishonest, and whatever happened between us to make her do this to me, I'll never know.

I have learned that crafty people use the law to take advantage of people. My lawyer said that had this gone to court, I would not have received any money at all of our assets, in fact rather even had to pay her legal expenses.

The family law in this regards is old and based on that men were typically the bread-winner and controllers, and the women were the home-makers and care-givers and had to be protected in every case. Not so any more. The laws must be changed, and soon.

I received a private message from another case, where a man had arrived home one afternoon, only to find that the locks had been changed. Upon knocking on the door, his wife inside called the police. The husband got arrested as she had several restraining orders against him. She had claimed abuse. The judge, as most naturally granted her the restraining orders as most judges will. It is safer to grant such order and be wrong, than the opposite, where the order was refused and the wife was actually seriously abused.
The problem with our system is that there is no recourse for the wrongfully accused. This man was assumed guilty and was jailed for 24 hours. He lost access to his house, his children and all his assets. He ended up homeless and after about 6 weeks, committed suicide. Disgruntled women have enormous power here, and nothing in our system can help a man that is wrongfully accused.

In my case, I was wrongfully accused but because my wife did not file for divorce within a certain time limit, the divorce became "non-contested". Her applications for restraining orders against me was simply adjourned and her affidavit statement was ignored as we never went to court.

I was an idiot, just working hard, juggling two jobs , thinking I was doing the noble thing, taking care of my family, only to find that I had been played by a greedy woman, planning the act for years waiting until the money and all our assets reach an amount that she could comfortably retire on, then use the system to her advantage and there is nothing I can do now.

Warning to all you out there. Man or woman. Get pre-nups, keep an eye on all your assets. Don't let each other take control, share and be honest. If you don't get along, discuss it early on.

Anyone can be blind-sided.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:05 PM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The family law in this regards is old and based on that men were typically the bread-winner and controllers, and the women were the home-makers and care-givers and had to be protected in every case. Not so any more. The laws must be changed, and soon.
The law will never be changed until a not-significant amount of women find themselves paying spousal support, loosing 1/2 the house they paid for, etc.