Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 PM

cranberry is on a distinguished road
Default Dental over 2K - Section 7?

Our kids have expensive mouths. They both require dental work, which combined is over 2K. Would this be considered S7 due to the high expense in one shot?

No issues with regular check ups, paid by me up front. However, the treatment required is out of the ordinary, IMO. Their baby teeth are not budging and the adult teeth are already significantly coming in, which is causing all sorts of dental issues that will require treatment once the adult teeth are in.

Over 2K is a huge amount for one person to carry. I asked their dad attend to pay his portion now to help cover this and have been met with a big fat no. I am not arguing with him and am robbibg Peter to pay Paul so-to-speak. But am curious if this would be considered S7.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:14 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Any medical expenses over $100 are section 7.

Do you have any benefits? Does he?
Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 PM

He does; I unfortunately don't. As mentioned, I have no issues with regular check ups. I pay, he reimburses .e when he feels like it. The insurance, on top of saying this is not a S7 expense, is his reason/excuse for not helping up front. I asked for help, he said no, and I am doing what I must to keep our kids dental health in good order.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:49 PM

His insurance covers it?

It is a section 7 expense whether he likes it or not. I would simply send him an email advising that these are section 7 expenses and should he refuse to pay his share you will seek court assistance and costs to recover it.

His reason for saying no is that its not necessary?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Yup, his insurance covers it; we sent in a request for an estimate. He's a "No-Man"; just says no to everything, even dental work that is most definitely required. My lawyer sent a letter to his at the beginning of June when he refused to help; no response. Its just what he does. His initial email refusing to help with the costs up front was word salad making an attempt to call me unfit for the umpteenth million time because I can not afford the full amount on my own. I do what I can to work around him to get things done for our kids. His refusal to help is centered around his belief this is not S7 and implying I am unfit as mentioned on the previous sentence.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:05 PM

tilt is on a distinguished road

There is no use trying to argue with logic against someone that didnít use logic to decide their position. When someone is so emotional like your ex it is a waste of time to negotiate. Tell them what is happening (the way you did with your lawyer sending an email to his lawyer) and then file in court. Meanwhile you can start treatment (most dentist offices have payment plans) and file for reimbursement from his insurance.

It is stupid and a waste of money and time to go to court on a slam dunk issue but you have to defend your kidís right to support. I have read cases on Canlii where the recipient parent did not pursue the section seven they were entitled to beyond a request, so future claims of the section 7 were disallowed. Ugh, judges really need to smack people like your ex upside the head with huge cost awards to show them how dumb they are being.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM

I have had to split the appointments up over the next three months; its the only way I can afford to do this. Keeping my fingers crossed the remaining teeth slated for extraction fall out on their own. If not, am also keeping my fingers crossed that no further damage is done in the meantime. We had some extracted today. When the lower one was extracted, it was discovered that the adult tooth was fully erupted but pointing down his throat. And, one of the teeth beside it has been pushed out of place. His mouth is a mess. I am seeing major $$ signs for braces in the near future. As for reimbursement, yes his insurance will pay me back. I just have to wait for him to decided to pass the money on to me. Waited six months once for a regular cleaning reimbursement! Oh the joys.

I will check CanLii for S7 like this to make sure my butt is covered for future expenses.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:55 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

2 k for all your kids is nothing. Wait till you are looking at braces (which by the sounds of things you probably will).
Old 07-25-2019, 11:50 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

I was going to say same thing about wait until braces time. I just got a quote at $5500 per child.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM

Turn the unfit parent back on him. Tell him to take the kids for appointments and hear what the docs say!