Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Mom 2 Two is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
Some of you really need to fire your lawyer.

Iím on my second. Iím afraid a third wonít get involved at this stage now. ;-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

How about updating your financials a hundred times because the case drags on so slowly that the last one becomes outdated. And oh ya, being billed hundreds of dollars each time for this work.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:41 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
How about updating your financials a hundred times because the case drags on so slowly that the last one becomes outdated. And oh ya, being billed hundreds of dollars each time for this work.

Does your lawyer do the update or are you doing it and send it to them to review?

Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Default What has family court taught you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom 2 Two View Post
Iím on my second. Iím afraid a third wonít get involved at this stage now. ;-(

Me too. One of the best things you can do when youíre not satisfied with your family lawyer is to get a second opinion.

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of incompetent family lawyers and others who are actually afraid of court.

Edit- to be fair, though, thereís a lot of incompetent lawyers in all areas of law. I just think family law has dire consequences.

Last edited by iona6656; 04-05-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

Iíve learned that criminals have more rights than family law litigants. Criminals have the right to a fair and expedient trial within 30 months. Family law litigants have no such rights and in fact are expected to submit the rest of their lives to the torture of relentless litigation and delays if the other party chooses to pursue this avenue. Marriage is not ďtill death do us partĒ. Family court is.

My advice to anybody charged with a criminal offense would be to NOT hire a criminal lawyer but hire a family lawyer instead and insist on having your criminal matter tried in family court...because there is no way in hell a family lawyer and a family court judge could ever bring your matter to trial within 30 months. 30 years maybe. 30 months never! Then the Jordan principle of unreasonable delay would kick in and your charge would be dismissed.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 AM

I also learned that there is zero support divorcing a mentally ill spouse. I mean delusional, paranoid, psychotic. The system tells you to try to collaborate. Really??? Mediate. Really???negotiate. Really??? My ex changed 7 lawyers. All of them seeing he was sick. But they all took massive retainers from him for nothing. On my end, it cost me money because my lawyer had to respond. Also for nothing. Everything took forever. Trying to agree to dividing belongings in the marital home was painful. He asked for things and demanded things that were impossible. For example for months he demanded the judge granted a divorce first and then he would be open to discuss the marital home!!!!! You can't bargain with a terrorist. I got a slight break when at one point he had no lawyer and disappeared for a few months. My lawyer was then able to make some progress and get two court orders. Nothing is simple. Nothing is straightforward. Everything is taking forever. Still at it since 2013. He was not appointed an opgt until we had already spent $100 000 in legal fees. My family has been exploited! There should be a separate system to accommodate this scenario. Instead the family law system will take extra advantage and milk you dry untill you don't even have a dime.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 AM

And before someone says it should not have taken so long for ex to be appointed an opgt and that I could have made that happen sooner. My ex used to get very close to judge ordering an opgt, but ex would retain new lawyer each time and argue he is already adequately represented. And then we could go another few months trying to make progress with new lawyer. But never worked and more money burnt. He was able to do this 3 times!!! The judge allowed this. Wasted 3 years of time! Mentally ill people are exploited by crooked and self serving lawyers and the sane spouse is left to fight a losing battle because there is zero support from the system. I learned there are a lot of rotten lawyers. Worst part for me. I didn't ask for any of it. My ex was not mentally I'll when we married so it's not like I should have known.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Default Keep your emotions in check

Almost 1.5 years in and what else I've learned is that you need to keep it business.

Emotions = money. The more emotional you are- the more it's oging ot cost you.

Hindsight sucks- but looking back I realize how overly anxious I was at the beginning cost me SO. MUCH. MONEY. in legal fees.

It's a good lesson in life too. Anxiety and overthinking/worrying will cost you more than just money- it will also cost you your piece of mind. These are just stormy days. There are better ones ahead.