Vacation time in family law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation time in family law

Hi, everyone, hope anybody has some idea how to determine “ vacation time”. Per court order, non- custody parent has 7 days vacation time every year. What I understand, vacation time means far from the home. I asked my ex the hotel booking information about 7 days, he ends up only 2 days short road trip out of city. I asked him to drop kids directly the next day morning in school and he refused. He states that 7 day vacation time means kids can stay with him and skip all classes/ afternoon extracurricular program. He is not necessarily going out of town. Vacation day also could stay home.

I agree with your ex... he can use vacation as he chooses... he doesn’t have to leave town... he can do day trips etc... you don’t get to dictate how he spends his vacation. Unless your agreement states he has to be so far from home to get his vacation you have no merit. When I take vacation from work we don’t always go away... we stay home, do day trips, have some lazy days, do an overnight somewhere... not everyone can afford to do a week long vacation but that doesn’t mean they aren’t entitled to vacation. That’s my opinion anyways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Berner is right. His time his decisions his rules.

Comment

I totally agree. His vacation time is to do whatever he wants - even if it means the kids miss school or activities.

Comment

Originally posted by thh1 View Post
          I asked my ex the hotel booking information about 7 days, he ends up only 2 days short road trip out of city. I asked him to drop kids directly the next day morning in school
          Ew. Don’t be one of those parents

Comment

If I was your ex I wouldn't even give you the hotel booking information and I would hope you dragged me to court.

He gets his 7 days. If he wants to play video games with the kids at home for the week then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by janus View Post
              if i was your ex i wouldn't even give you the hotel booking information and i would hope you dragged me to court.

omg, loooool

Comment

The poster sounds like one parent I know, unfortunately.

As per lawyers advice, this parent was told we are taking staycation.

The response: THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

hahahaha, objections about everything and anything. You tell this person - water is wet. The response will be: THIS IS RIDICOULOS! YOU ARE PATHETIC!

Comment

I can understand your concerns, but yes it seams that by law his time is his time he can do what ever he wants, I know u r thinking if u r not travelling why not to send the kids to the school or to their activities? But that’s the case.

Comment

Vacation time in family law

What I don’t understand is why the other parent is taking the kid out of school for those days? I mean, if they’re entitled to it...okay, their vacation- their decision. But just curious. How old are the kids?

Comment

I don't get it. I mean who is on vacation? The kids or the ex? Kids aren't on vacation if it's school time. They should be at school. If it's March break, winter break or summer ex can do what he wants on this time with kids. He doesn't have to leave the house to call it a vacation by law.

Comment

Originally posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
                        I don't get it. I mean who is on vacation? The kids or the ex? Kids aren't on vacation if it's school time. They should be at school. If it's March break, winter break or summer ex can do what he wants on this time with kids. He doesn't have to leave the house to call it a vacation by law.

My understanding is the ex is entitled to 7 days vacation with his kids, seems like his 7 days is coming up, but it doesn’t fall when the kids have vacation from school. He’s going away for a couple nights and then doing what seems to be a staycation... OP wants the children in school during this time and the ex is staying no it’s his vacation time, he’s not taking them to school.

I agree with the ex... just because he isn’t going to be out of town the full 7 days doesn’t mean he’s not entitled to his time. If the OP was concerned about the kids missing school because they were falling behind, etc, I could understand the concern but the way it’s worded the OP adjust wants them at school because dad’s doing a staycation... essentially she’s trying to prevent dad from having his vacation time.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                          What I don’t understand is why the other parent is taking the kid out of school for those days? I mean, if they’re entitled to it...okay, their vacation- their decision. But just curious. How old are the kids?
                          You would be surprised at the number of parents that see vacations as being more important than school. My kids regularly tell me about classmates that have been gone for a month for a vacation halfway around the world. I'm not talking kindergarten or grade 1 here either...

Meanwhile, I feel guilty about pulling my kids out for an afternoon . My kids also hate it, they usually ask me to schedule things outside of school time.

Comment

My in-laws just took their kids to Hawaii for 10 days, returning last week. Sometimes that is just when the schedule/budget/etc. works.

Comment

Thank you for everybody ‘s input. I am happy if my ex bring kids to vacation, anywhere as long as not staying home playing video games. After two year, the order allow each parent could bring kids two week vacation, I guess my ex will let kids in home two week straight then.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X