Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
I was going to say same thing about wait until braces time. I just got a quote at $5500 per child.

Braces are s7 every time. So is the current dental work. The ex should simply run it through their insurance and then you split the remainder proportionally to income.

My kid just got braces. I know it is s7, and was on board from the get go. Luckily my ex, my wife and myself all have coverage. Given all 3 insurers, we are looking like we won't be out of pocket a cent.

I would recommend that your ex educate themselves on what is and what is not s7.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:27 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

Is it possible the dentist can direct bill he insurance? You would just need the number off the card and then you would only have to worry about reimbursement for the proportional portion not covered by insurance. In my experience the orthodontist does not direct bill, but my regular dentist does. I agree with others, just state it is a section 7 and then move to have this taken care by court if ex won’t agree as it sounds like this is only the very beginning of many years of orthodontics. My own child had some baby teeth not come out, and needed pulling and the permanent dud come out in a row behind baby teeth. Had 2 rows of teeth. was told at the beginning would need braces twice at different stages of growth of the jaw as a child and again as a teen. Have spent a small fortune. Typically each insurance company pays 50% to a max amount per lifetime so if you have only 1 insurance plan it is unlikely it will cover whole cost
Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbigh View Post
Is it possible the dentist can direct bill he insurance? You would just need the number off the card and then you would only have to worry about reimbursement for the proportional portion not covered by insurance...

Definitely section 7 expense.

I agree with denbigh here, in that it's always better to find a dentist that can do direct billing with insurance. It's always a pain to claim reimbursements through your insurance for the larger amount, then add a problematic "ex" into the situation, and it's just frustrating.

If you anticipate large dental expenses coming up, in the next few years, it would also be good for you to find insurance as well, so that the expenses can be coordinated between the two plans. (yours and ex's)

What is the section 7 split between you guys anyway?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:35 PM

cranberry is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! Ya, we are definitely heading into very expensive braces in the near future. Am already mentally preparing myself for that battle. He keeps quoting and sending me the link to the Justice Canada website specific to S7 telling me to seek better legal advice on and to educate myself regarding S7 expenses. He's on ignore 😉

I have been going to the same dentist for almost 25 yrs. He does not do direct billing. Its my choice to stay with him, so I guess one could say my choice to have to wait for him to send me the reimbursement. However, he is definitely in the wrong for withholding the reimbursement.

Our split is 65/35; it is what it is. My budget simply does not allow for private
insurance.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:08 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Send him section 7 of the guidelines SPECIFICALLY the words “the necessity of the expense in relation to the child’s best interests” and “health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by $100 annually”.

If you have an agreement it should be in there too. You can send him that.

Your ex sounds like an asshole and eventually the kids will see it and ignore him too. Hope he enjoys that!!
Old 07-26-2019, 05:56 PM

cranberry is on a distinguished road

It would be futile to attempt to explain what that clause means; he's made up his mind these payments do not apply to him. Yup, asshole with a capital A.

We have an agreement signed 5 years ago. Pretty much the day after signing he decided he didn't like it and now says it doesn't exist. Dental expenses are not my only issue.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 AM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
I was going to say same thing about wait until braces time. I just got a quote at $5500 per child.

My son was $7300 and his teeth weren't that bad. My daughter was $8100.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:50 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

Another broken system that exploits families. Unless the braces are made of gold and encrusted with jewels, how the hell is the cost in the thousands justified!
Old 07-27-2019, 02:19 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

In 1988 (before many of you were born) braces were 5k for my son. I remember we had a 3-year payment plan.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

We are paying $4300 for braces for my bonus son, split in half of course. It may seem expensive but when you think of how much visits typically cost just for a check up it’s not that bad. What bugs me is that a lot of insurance companies cover regular dental and other random Heath care things but don’t cover braces. I also find it crazy how early kids are getting braces now a days. 9/10 year olds are getting them on before all their baby teeth have fallen out or come in... a friend of ours is on the second set for their son because he got them put on at 10 for two years and now at 14 needs them again... $10k in braces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk