Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parental Alienation?

If you didn't watch this Dr Phil show....its very interesting:

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Parental Alienation: Who's to Blame?

Proves the point that sometimes a parent's behavior can alienate the kid without any help from the ex-spouse.

Its also a reminder to leave children out of divorce drama.

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

Proves the point that sometimes a parent's behavior can alienate the kid without any help from the ex-spouse.

HPD...

Histrionic personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Tayken...when I watched the show, I was struck by her mannerisms and you're exactly right. The link you posted lists symptoms that look exactly like what she may have been suffering from. I was struck by her inability to listen to or sympathize with her daughter who was clearly extremely distraught.

Funny enough, my bf was at my house at the time and he could barely watch the show. The woman reminded him so much of his ex-wife that he was disturbed watching it. It gave me a new appreciation for what he went through in his almost 30-yr marriage.

The woman on this show has a website:

DR PHIL SHOW on PARENTAL ALIENATION will air FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1st ::: Parental Alienation Solutions ::

I scanned it and noticed that not only does she rant about her ex and his new wife but she rants about a Rabbi that she perceives as bullying her. I hope this woman and her children get some professional help. I felt so very sorry for the children of this woman. I can't even begin to imagine what they've lived through.

Comment

HPDs are their own worst enemy... I am totally surprised in all of the allegations that Dr. Phil tracked she wasn't alleging somewhere that one of the people was a Satanist...

One would wonder what Mr. William Eddy would have to say to all of this...
        Last edited by Tayken; 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if she had somewhere. Apparently in the show, its revealed that she has sent thousands upon thousands of ranting, raving emails, texts and calls to her ex, his new wife and all of their children.

Comment

The judge in this case refers to something he calls, "justified estrangement."

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc...2009abqb13.pdf

I brought this topic (parental self-alienation) up in another thread a while back, because this was happening between my X and S15. Of course, I was getting the blame. Didn't occur to him that his actions and words and those of his new wife were alienating our son, not me.

Comment

Its also a reminder to leave children out of divorce drama
              Absolutely, even when they are adults themselves - it's upsetting for them to see their parents split up and they certainly don't need minute by minute e-mails or phone calls with all the nasty details.

I've been separated over for 18 months and our S25 has made up his own mind. He wants nothing more to do with the old man ever since. Now I'm told that the 'fugger' has been accusing me of parental alienation because our son visits me every weekend?

Of course his choice has nothing to do with how poorly his father treated him over the years. Post separation, the ex was harassing him on the phone with drunken threats of suicide ... No, he's never to blame, this has to be my 'influencing' our son and turning him against his own father? talk about denial!

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                Absolutely, even when they are adults themselves - it's upsetting for them to see their parents split up and they certainly don't need minute by minute e-mails or phone calls with all the nasty details.

I've been separated over for 18 months and our S25 has made up his own mind. He wants nothing more to do with the old man ever since. Now I'm told that the 'fugger' has been accusing me of parental alienation because our son visits me every weekend?

Of course his choice has nothing to do with how poorly his father treated him over the years. Post separation, the ex was harassing him on the phone with drunken threats of suicide ... No, he's never to blame, this has to be my 'influencing' our son and turning him against his own father? talk about denial!
                That's because 'It's all your fault'. It couldn't possibly be the other parent themselves in their own mind.

This is a great book btw;

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B007PG2B5O

Comment

I'll be putting that book on my Xmas wish list!

Comment

I'd like a copy in my xmas stocking as well, please

Thx for posting the Dr. Phil link PH, I missed that episode :s

Comment

Parental alienation case that ended with father's victory 14 years and perhaps hundred thousand dollars and lifetime of hurt later:

CanLII - 2009 CanLII 943 (ON SC)

Unfortunately, even though the father won, everybody lost this battle.

Comment

I was hoping someone else was going to admit to being a Dr.P fan Guilty pleasure.

This man is my ex....I mean not literally, but this is him. Huge difference - we were together 7 years - apart now 8. If I hadn't of left when I did, I'd be her. I swear to god - right down to the surveillance and calling my clients.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                          I was hoping someone else was going to admit to being a Dr.P fan Guilty pleasure.

This man is my ex....I mean not literally, but this is him. Huge difference - we were together 7 years - apart now 8. If I hadn't of left when I did, I'd be her. I swear to god - right down to the surveillance and calling my clients.

Today's was about the crazy controlling hubby wasn't it? But I think you guys are talking about that whack-job mom who pushed everyone away?? I take back what I said, my ex isn't a crazy woman, my ex is a crazy man.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                            Today's was about the crazy controlling hubby wasn't it? But I think you guys are talking about that whack-job mom who pushed everyone away?? I take back what I said, my ex isn't a crazy woman, my ex is a crazy man.
                            Just to point out "MS Mom"... You have claimed your ex-partner is NPD. I highly doubt that your ex-partner is truly NPD. A very small portion of the population is NPD/BPD/AvPD/HPD... We are talking in the 2-3% zone.

As well, you are on a message forum continually and often with a lot of drama, stating explicitly that this person is like your ex and that person is like your ex.

The real question is what are you like? As your ex-partner is not here to counter your hearsay statements about them... I don't put much weight on what you state on a public message forum as "the truth".

It may benefit you to reflect on your situation and look towards the future for improving your personal situation. You seem quite focused on blaming the past in what I have read from you recently.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

I was hoping someone else was going to admit to being a Dr.P fan Guilty pleasure
                              I must say that I often enjoy the guests that Dr. Phil's staff has on his show. Simply because they portray some of the more extreme versions of personalities I've dealt with over the years at work, etc.

With this particular show, I actually found this woman hard to watch and I'm not so sure that the doctor did a very good job really getting her help. She definitely needed to be correctly diagnosed because there was obviously something wrong with her and it was causing havoc for her family.

A very small portion of the population is NPD/BPD/AvPD/HPD... We are talking in the 2-3% zone.
                              I definitely think my ex may have some spectrum of NPD. He fits all the symptomology and came from a background which would have set him up for this. (i.e. probable neglectful home life...an ignored 6th of 9 children, etc.). He is incapable of taking blame for anything or feeling anything for anything. He's very cold and self-focused all the time. If you point out any flaws in his perceived image of himself, he literally goes nuts. He will chant a mantra over and over if you do it. Its very bizarre and its gotten worse as he's got older...or he's having more trouble hiding it, not sure which. The more that I learn about NPD, the more that I'm fairly certain he suffers from some level of the disorder...I'm not a doctor, however, but I think its a good thing to research anyway since its been helping me sort out the "whys" and realize that its not fixable and something I'm going to have to work with my kid to deal with and not get damaged by.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X