Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if my ex said my lawyer gave him advises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if my ex said my lawyer gave him advises?

Hi everyone, can any of you give me advise what should I do my ex mentioned in the email that my lawyer give him advise and my lawyer admitted it.
    what should I do as I am in the middle of motion. anyway to suggest me how to talk to my lawyer without further damage? or minimized the impact? at this situation, event if I change a lawyer, the world is small, I do not want to make more enemy.
    please tell give me any valuable wise advises.
    thanks

Depends on what the advice was. If it was a simple procedural question then not a big deal, but you're paying your lawyer to advise you not your ex.

Comment

Don't do anything.

Comment

Were you paying for it? (I guess you'll never know) Did it help or harm you? (What was the advice?). Pretty much any communication w ex can be construed as advice. E.g ' I'd advise you to accept our offer because ....'

Comment

My L said to my ex like this" if your ex did not obey the oder, then your ex's custody can be removed, you can bring a motion for it" my L admit it. Last time my L called me in for urgent motion to against my ex for not follow the order. And I mentioned to my L that I felt communication with the lawyer is not good, possible to ask a famale lawyer to assist him? He understands what I meant, he said he is the most knowledgeable person to my case.
          That of course is true, I having struggle what gain what lose to change to another lawyer.
          As my big fear is this lawyer is scattered his opinions all over, and can not keep his mouth tight.
          Any advise? I am foggied.

Comment

I felt my L double advise act like conductor for a movie.

Comment

Probably the best thing to do is speak to your lawyer in person about how you feel, that you have concerns about him giving advice to your ex.

I think a lot also depends on the context of when the statements were made to your ex by the lawyer. If your ex called or met with your lawyer to ask questions and your lawyer answered them then that's an issue for sure. If it happened during a mutual conversation such as "either if you could bring a motion for contempt if the order is not followed..." then that's very different.

Hard to say.

Comment

It can be very challenging for a lawyer when the other party is self-represented. On one hand they owe a duty to you (their client) and you're not paying them to 'advise' the other party.

However, sometimes a few carefully selected nuggets of information can go a long way in settling/resolving disputes.

In a better world lawyers would be cheap and everyone would have competent representation. In a perfect would lawyers wouldn't exist.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X