X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to get a divorce?

Hi

I need your help with understanding my rights.

I'm an American and in a relationship with a Canadian who is living in Ontario.And we have been together for 1 yrs.
    We don't want to get married yet but want to become common law before when we decide to get married.

We are thinking about filing out the papers to become common law (and that will help to legalize me so I can become resident and can legally work here in Canada) but I want to know my rights before complete the paperworks.

Say I fill out the paperworks of becoming common law but if things don't work out between us would I required to get a divorce since I did go through common law paperwork?

What else is there I need to know since I'm not a Canadian? what rights or what obligations for non-canadian that is in a common law relationship that I need to know?

If I'm a Canadian I wouldn't worry much because I think I can just walk away from the it and it ends there, right? but that isn't my case.

Please help with my questions and all other answers I need to know but didn't ask as well. I don't know much about this stuff so it's hard to ask if I don't know what to ask.

Thank you very much.

Agirl

Agirl,

welcome to the forum

In Ontario, when a common law relationship ends, it is not necessary to obtain a divorce to sever the relationship legally. The relationship just ends.

The paperwork you may be referring to is immigration paperwork and the other party is acting as your sponsor.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X