Issues with a Motion on Consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with a Motion on Consent

My ex recently agreed to have my sons live at my house as their permanent residence. She is moving 600 km away to be with a boyfriend. We had gone through a trial 4 years ago and she won. Now she has agreed to let them live with me.

She told me that she would not be able to afford child support; and honestly, I don't care if she doesn't want to pay. (she makes about $30,000). I really don't think she would have agreed to this change if I made an issue out of it.

I filled a Motion on Consent and all of the paperwork. All the paperwork was accepted, except that the judge is asking why she won't be paying child support. I filled a new affidavit explaining why I didn't ask for support and that I was confident that I could take care of it myself. My household income is $160k.

My questions are:

1) Can the judge accept that I've waived the child support or is the law supreme in this matter? Will the judge be obligated to make my ex pay even if I don't care to make an issue of this?

2) Can my ex withdraw her consent to this motion based on her reluctance to pay support?

Could you add an item that lists the amount of cs she would be responsible for will be waived as travel expenses to visit with the children? But still put in agreed to s7 expenses and the proportionate share. You wont have to recover it but at least it might not cause a problem with the judge.

Comment

After having done a bit of research, I learned the following:

1) With regarding to waiving child support, I've learned that the court considers child support a right of the child, and neither parent can waive those rights. Although the court can certainly take under consideration the various circumstances that would justify no support payments, those justifications would have to be substantial and well reasoned. See: Can Parents Have an Agreement for No Child Support and No Access? | John P. Schuman C.S., Child and Family Law | John P. Schuman

2) On the matter of withdrawing consent, this was harder to answer. After discussing the matter with a lawyer, it seems that a request to withdraw consent on a motion after learning that child support cannot be waived probably wouldn't be seen as responsible or acting in good faith by the court. Secondly, it shifts the burden of proof on the party seeking the withdraw.

If any of you have anything to add, I would be most interested in hearing your comments.

Comment

Your research and reasoning are sound. If you don't need the child support, take it and put it into an RESP for their future.

The judge wants to make sure that both parents are fulfilling their legal obligation which includes financially supporting their children to the best of their ability.

You can agree to alternate child support amounts or methods of calculating it, but waiving it completely is usually frowned upon by the judge.

Comment

Case law pretty much sums it up, child support is the right of the child, not the right of the parent.

In reality however, It's basically a bonus payment to the parent that has the child the majority of the time, they can do whatever the hell they want with it, heck they could give it to their ex to help them pay off their debt if they really wanted to.

Comment

What is her household income?

Comment

It's only 30k. Mine is 160k.

I was hoping that the judge would see that I'm capable of taking care of their financial needs on my own. Making an issue of child support at a time when she is agreeing to let them live with me isn't in my children's best interest. They really need to get out of there (many issues going on there that would be too long to write out).

Comment

hmmmm she had full custody?

Comment

No. We had joint custody.

Just to give everyone here an update (and to enrich the knowledge base of the forum), the judge signed the Motion on Consent without imposing child support on my ex. So, it is possible to get CS waived in certain cases. I believe that the judge recognized that this was an opportunity to be seized upon, and he obviously agreed that it was in their best interest to have it waived.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaudoin View Post
                    No. We had joint custody.

Just to give everyone here an update (and to enrich the knowledge base of the forum), the judge signed the Motion on Consent without imposing child support on my ex. So, it is possible to get CS waived in certain cases. I believe that the judge recognized that this was an opportunity to be seized upon, and he obviously agreed that it was in their best interest to have it waived.
                    final order or interim?

Comment

1) Can the judge accept that I've waived the child support or is the law supreme in this matter? Will the judge be obligated to make my ex pay even if I don't care to make an issue of this?
                      You don't have the right to wave something that is the right of the child.

2) Can my ex withdraw her consent to this motion based on her reluctance to pay support?
                      Yes.

Here is how you do it properly.

You write everything up including the child support. You then also wave off FRO and fill out the necessary paperwork for this. (or whatever it is in your province). Then you never collect child support from the other parent and never go back to court for it. To do this will require a lot of trust from the other parent. But, this is the easiest way to do it and get the order approved.

In the alternative, you can create an agreement, both sign it and not get an order. The agreement, if written correctly, is just as good as an order.

Comment

The order is a final.

Comment

The judge can (and should) order child support, but it's up to you whether to pursue your ex if she doesn't pay it. You could just agree between the two of you that you will not pursue it (but then you would have to hold to your word and not change your mind and pursue her later for it). This is a bit risky for your ex as there's nothing really to protect her in case you do decide you want her to pay CS - but then, she does have a legal obligation to contribute to the kids' support, and you're already doing her a favor by agreeing not to seek enforcement if she doesn't pay the money.

Comment

The judge actually wrote in the order there will be no child support? Did he give a reason?

The judge could have ratified the consent and added the child support afterwards

this smacks of gender bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                              this smacks of gender bias.
                              Not really. The judge called the matter back and refused to endorse the agreement without an explanation. They do it in all cases when there is no child support or it is being waved. They make both parties appear before them to get the reason. Judge did this in this case.

I still think the judge should have made the other parent pay CS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X