This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does child support cover?

I'm guessing this is different for every situation. I've been looking through the government sites and Googling about, but I only see what is considered extraordinary, but what about what is not?

Here are the specifics ... I only have my girls 2 weekends a month. I pick them up Friday night and drop them of Sunday night.

They have now outgrown all of the clothes that I originally had for them. I asked my ex to send new Pajamas and summer clothes with them for the weekends I had them.

She informed me that clothing for my weekends was not covered by child support and I should go buy some myself. It seems odd that I would buy a summer wardrobe for my girls that they will outgrow by the end of summer and only have worn a few times. Plus if they like the clothes I'm certainly not going to stop them from taking them back to their moms.

Of course I will buy them clothes if that's what is required, but then I wonder why am I paying so much child support if it doesn't even cover clothes??

If you are paying the full table amount, then the clothes should be covered. If you are paying less than then table amount, then she has a point.

Comment

It really amazes me how petty and stupid some people can be. For Gods sake these are yor children, saying she won't provide clothes on your time is insane and doesn't keep the child in mind. I don't understand it, I really don't, my child's father never paid me a dime of child support even though he was ordered to. I never stopped him from seeing his daughter and encouraged a relationship for them, he only utilized his visits when it suited him. I didn't speak about him negatively even though sometimes I was angry. This was a man I once loved and to take it out on our child because our relationship ended even if it wasn't my fault doesn't make sence. He has just as much right to be around her as I do. I just wish some people could wake up!

Comment

Child support covers your portion of the childs needs for the month. These needs includ food, shelter, clothing etc.

As clothes are covered in these needs they are supposed to be provided. I mean, it is for the needs of the MONTH, and as far as I know you time would be included in that big time of "month".

Your ex sounds like mine. I only ever get D4 and her blankie, that is it. First her reasoning was that I needed to act more like a parent and supply my own. Now it is because she says I have ruined some of her clothes, which is entirely untrue. She is just doing it to be difficult.

You should have a couple outfits at your place just in case, but to have a full on wardrobe just causes extra costs to you when you've technically already paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
          If you are paying the full table amount, then the clothes should be covered. If you are paying less than then table amount, then she has a point.
          Yes, I pay the full amount.

So it sounds like I am not crazy here. I always think after two years this would all be over. But I guess it depends on who you are dealing with.

Comment

By the letter of the law, if you have the children under 40% of the time, you should be paying full table amounts and it is the Custodial Parent's responsibility to provide sufficient clothing/etc for your access.

It'd be no different than them going to a sleepover at a friends house, would she expect the parents of the children's friends to provide the kids with clothing/etc?

Comment

My ex even takes it a step further.
              If the kids have a school trip on "my day" during the week or another school event like a fun fair or book drive, she tells them to ask me to pay for it.
              I pay full table amounts and a ton of SS too.
              She won't pay anything towards the kids sports or other activities, so I pay those too.
              I won't let my kids not be able to do things because their mother is a bitter and short sited person.
              I just find a way to make it work for them.
              My advise is to enjoy your time with your kids. If that means buying a new dress or new PJ's from Walmart to see your little girls smile, isn't that all worth it?
              I am not saying it is right, but sometimes "it is what it is"

Comment

I'm sure in the end, this is exactly what will happen. Choose your battles and all that.

I actually like shopping with them and am kind of looking forward to it. But the bitterness you get from the other side always riles me up.

I certainly don't have any extra money (my SS is high as well), but as you say, you do what you gotta do. I'll just pick what makes the most sense, pajamas, pair of shorts, etc.

Comment

It will NEVER end dude.

Comment

I hope there are CP's reading this and seeing how petty things are. I wonder if it was reversed how they would feel. You just want to spend the weekend with your kids and now you have to worry about whether or not your ex spouse sends them clothes or not.
                    When is someone ever going to just look out for the best interests of the kids and not just trying to cause more unnecessarily friction because that is what hurts the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Workin View Post
                      They have now outgrown all of the clothes that I originally had for them.
                      Allow me to tell you a little secret......

Kids grow bigger over time. Even when the parents are no longer together.

Further to what Cobourg said, surely making your kids feel cosy and at home with you includes buying a modest amount of clothes that you keep at your house for alternate weekend visits. You don't need to get much since they are at the other parent's most of the time, but you will need to change out their small wardrobe seasonally now that you know the little secret.

Comment

There are gently used children clothing stores out there, one example is Once Upon A Child.

Comment

Originally posted by enoughalready View Post
                          I hope there are CP's reading this and seeing how petty things are. I wonder if it was reversed how they would feel. You just want to spend the weekend with your kids and now you have to worry about whether or not your ex spouse sends them clothes or not.
                          When is someone ever going to just look out for the best interests of the kids and not just trying to cause more unnecessarily friction because that is what hurts the children.

I don't see the big deal here, go out get a few tee shirts, pants, pjs and have them kept at the house. Walmart is pretty cheap. Maybe take the kids there to pick out what they like..
                          The children might feel better knowing they have two wardrobes.... I know I would!!!!!!
                          Last edited by tugofwar; 06-20-2010, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
                            There are gently used children clothing stores out there, one example is Once Upon A Child.
                            Agreed! if money is really an issue, children's clothing is not costly, I am going through it as well but on the other side of the coin. I was losing my child's clothing because my daughter would request to take home her dresses, I had to buy a new dress every other weekend because we attend church, keep in mind her mother has never sent back the dresses or with clothing for her visit, no fav toy/book medications etc. only what she is wearing on her body which most of the time looks like they are from a second hand store(Which was founded via bank statement), which causes rashes and is known for carrying bed bugs so in my case i cant wait to see my daughter so i can trash the used clothing she is wearing. C'mon a good parent tends to over pack and make sure they have everthing needed. I personally call it child abuse, Neglect and under providing. i am not a lawyer and is just advising you on my current proceedings and what i did was questioned her spending habits to obtain bank statements, then i broke down all credit/debit car/gas ins/expenses etc. vs her personal income and money received from child support in doing this i can now point out that my ex uses 100% of c.s. received to cover car payment(s) and doesn't have a job. she also claimed on her form 13 that she only made 14k but on her notice of asst states $1'600 i requested bank statement dated back 3 years but she only provided 15 months which showed she made $45k and also prove she never paid for daycare and only had the provider make fake receipts or failed to disclose all accounts and credit cards. part of my sec 7 was to pay $100/mth for piano lessons bank statement shows under $900 spent in 15 months i guess i can only advise further after the next c.c. in July Wish me luck, and if you see your children in need of cloths despite paying child support just find a way and there is two sides because i know man/woman who would dress their kids up like street kids on access so the other parent can buy new cloths, again why would you want your child to even think about leaving the house looking like a bum? and it does suck seeing you cant even afford to own a car and is paying for someone else while you now take a bus when you've had a car and driving for years gage that.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                              Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
                              Originally posted by jaysneed View Post
                              Agreed! if money is really an issue, children's clothing is not costly, I am going through it as well but on the other side of the coin.
                              So you agree that there are great used clothing stores out there...

...which most of the time looks like they are from a second hand store(Which was founded via bank statement), which causes rashes and is known for carrying bed bugs so in my case i cant wait to see my daughter so i can trash the used clothing she is wearing.
                              Oh wait....no you don't - used clothing is bad, causes rashes and usually carries bed bugs??? (no idea where you shop, I have NEVER seen or heard of this before and we have shopped in many MANY second hand stores.)

And seriously, nowhere in thr law does it say anywhere that if you recieve child support you are only allowed to purchase NEW clothes for your children. If you are throwing out the clothes she is buying for the child then why on earth WOULD she spend anymore on the clothes. I don't blame her one bit, you have no right to throw away the clothes she buys. If you're concerned about the cleanliness of the items there is such thing as a washing machine.

.....and if you see your children in need of cloths despite paying child support just find a way and there is two sides because i know man/woman who would dress their kids up like street kids on access so the other parent can buy new cloths, again why would you want your child to even think about leaving the house looking like a bum?
                              Perhaps not everyone is as judgemental as you are. You sound like a snob because OMG! your kid is wearing used clothing - how gauche!!! Ugh...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X