This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello New Here

I have a question or two, but first of all I'd like to tell you all a little about my situation.
    I am a 58 year old female. with a disability. I was married for 32 years. We had a traditional marriage, he worked I stayed home, looked after the children etc... One (adopted child) who is now an adult, with a family of her own.
    In 2004 was awared spousal support.
    This year(2010) in September, I will be separated from my ex for 8 years.

My question is...Can anyone can tell me what is the process for having your spousal support revisited( I'm sure there is a name for it)
    Do you need a lawyer or is there a way around that?

Thanks in advance.
    ~ Darlynn

You never NEED a lawyer to represent you, but it usually a good idea - especially for something like spousal support. The calculations can get fairly complicated and you ex is likely to fight it vigorously. You should at the very least consult a lawyer before deciding whether to proceed. They should give you an idea of what your chances are.

I'm assuming you are looking for an increase of some sort - is there some change in circumstance which has lead to this?

Comment

Hello About_Time,

Thank you for replying.
      Well, I'm just curious, more than anything.
      I just wondered with the cost of living, that has increased over the last 7.5 years, if that would have any effect on my spousal support amount.
      I guess if I'm asking, then there must be a need. I am stuggling financially to keep my head above water, I am still living in the rental he put me in , before he left, and rent has increased twice.
      My lifestyle hasn't changed, since he left.

As I said, I'm just curious more than anything, as to how this all would work, if and when I decide to move forward.

Thanks so much for your reply...
      Kind Regards
      ~Darlynn

Comment

Originally posted by Darlynn View Post
        My lifestyle hasn't changed, since he left.
        Well, good for you because I am sure his life style would have changed.

Comment

Singledad...

You're absolutely right... his lifestyle has changed.!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X