X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two properties with rental income....

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some insight to my situation. Here goes...

My partner and i each bought a condo in the same building at the same time.
    Her's was 137000(her name+cosign1% to father). Mine was 132000(my name). We have lived in hers for the entire 5 years. Rented mine and deposited it into a joint account. We have put lumpsums into each mortgage.
    We have upgraded flooring,baseboards,curtains,faucets,sinks,washer/dryer and installed it together in her apartment,it's top floor with a view. Her's is now worth $265000. Mine is worth $224000 on assessment.

We had $12400 in the account for the last 4 months were we have been seperated. I felt that i should take the money and be done with it.
    She panicked the other night and has taken out half the money without informing me. I'm left with half the money derived from my investment while she gets the more updated and livable space. I realize it is my own fault for buying the less desirable unit but is there grounds for unjust enrichment?

are you married?

Comment

We were living common law.

Comment

Not worth the fight. If it was a joint account, she's entitled to half. You would have to have a good arguement why that wasn't the case (and lots of proof). If you take this to court, you are both likely to lose the amount that she has over an above what you do.

You could always detail how you would argue for unjust enrichment and make her an offer, but don't count on it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X