X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House league hockey

Hello,
    Curious on thoughts?

I have 3 kids that play house league hockey and have for a very long time, pre separation.

My 3 boys live with me 50% and I pay their mom support. Based on the support calculator it says I should pay 66% of extra ordinary expenses.

Is house league hockey an extra ordinary expense?

Should I be paying 66% of hockey equipment?

thanks

Originally posted by Veryconfused View Post
    Hello,
    Curious on thoughts?

I have 3 kids that play house league hockey and have for a very long time, pre separation.

My 3 boys live with me 50% and I pay their mom support. Based on the support calculator it says I should pay 66% of extra ordinary expenses.

thanks

In my situation (mom) the house league hockey is paid by me. Dad doesn't have to contribute anything extra beyond his monthly child support. It is not considered a section 7 expense in my case. I am interested to hear what other parents say though. Do you have a Sep Agreement and what does it say for section 7 expenses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No it is NOT a special and extraordinary expense. It is not special nor is it extraordinary to have a child participate in any house league program... Be it baseball, hockey, etc...

Nor is a residential (aka access) parent required to bring the children unless an agreement or court order otherwise states it explicitly.

As a matter of being a good parent yes. But, by law you are not required to. Unless you have a written agreement that says you are supposed to. That agreement is now law for you.

Good Luck!
      Tayken
      Last edited by Tayken; 01-29-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
        In my situation (mom) the house league hockey is paid by me. Dad doesn't have to contribute anything extra beyond his monthly child support. It is not considered a section 7 expense in my case. I am interested to hear what other parents say though. Do you have a Sep Agreement and what does it say for section 7 expenses?
        It would only qualify if it could be demonstrated that the child/ren in question are going to play at a professional level of hockey.

The reality check is that with statistics like this:

How Hard Is It to Make It to the NHL? | The Huffington Post

Early 2013, Jim Parcels, a former Peterborough Petes trainer and Ken Campbell, a writer for The Hockey News, co-authored Selling the Dream: How Hockey Parents and Their Kids Are Paying the Price for Our National Obsession. In the book, Parcels breaks down the odds of a kid from Ontario making the NHL. Out of the select 30,000 players they studied, 48 were drafted by an NHL team, and 39 of those 48 actually signed contracts with an NHL team. Of that 39, only 32 actually played in the NHL, and only 15 of those players played more than one full season. And finally, of that 15, only six played the minimum 400 games to qualify for the NHL Player Pension.

So if we count the 400 game league minimum for the Player Pension as having a ‘career’ in the NHL, then 0.16 percent will get drafted into the NHL and only 0.02 percent of hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey.
        I am 99.83% to 99.97% sure that no one ever posting to this site will ever have a valid claim for S7 for hockey expenses. Sorry to say, it is a recreational sport and not special nor extraordinary.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          It would only qualify if it could be demonstrated that the child/ren in question are going to play at a professional level of hockey.

The reality check is that with statistics like this:

How Hard Is It to Make It to the NHL? | The Huffington Post

I am 99.83% to 99.97% sure that no one ever posting to this site will ever have a valid claim for S7 for hockey expenses. Sorry to say, it is a recreational sport and not special nor extraordinary.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

I agree. What is your stance on competitive gymnastics with a price tag of thousands per year? This is in my near future for one child.... just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you,
            So should hockey registration be 50% and Equipment 66%?
            Last edited by Veryconfused; 01-29-2017, 06:37 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Thank you,
              So should hockey registration be 50% and Equipment 66%?
              No, it should be 0 - 100%. Get her to pay for it via Child Support. If that's going to interfere with your child's wishes and you really want them to play for hockey, than just pay, otherwise, if mom wants to keep them in, she will have to pay.

If you agree to it being a S7 expense, then you have to pay your proportionate share for anything and everything to do with hockey. If they need new skates, it becomes percentage, you buy it and send her receipt to get your proportion back, etc.

Comment

My daughter pays for all my grandson hockey. She asked Ex if he wanted to contribute 50% but He was not interested in contributing and told her in his words" I have 2 step sons to put through hockey and cannot afford any more than the CS you gouge out of me every month"

So she has never asked again for anything of sons sports or curricular activities. When he grows up he can ask why he did not.

I think if you want your children to participate in extra curricular activities you will contribute to the best of your ability. That being said I agree some of the costs are ridiculous.

Comment

Hi there;

I have two kids in hockey. One is rep, one in house league. I pay for both . I try and get pretty good equipment for the older one and then pass it down. Helps a bit with costs.

That said, I don't pay for another activities of an extra curricular nature. I.e. soccer etc. Mind, a couple of sticks are the cost of soccer. Mom pays for those.

As someone mentioned above, I would have to agree, hockey isn't really that essential in the big picture (s7) great for their identity, well being .. yes..but not essential.

Take care,

Comment

FWIW my son's been in house league hockey from day 1 and I thought it was important to maintain that post-separation. I also coach so enjoy the extra bonding time. I pay CS and 66% of all hockey costs as if they were S.7 expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                      I agree. What is your stance on competitive gymnastics with a price tag of thousands per year? This is in my near future for one child.... just curious.
                      If the Olympic team is involved then you have a claim... Otherwise... It is a recreational sport.

Comment

Is there any case law to prove that it is not extraordinary? I am being taken to court to pay for hockey when I did not consent to it.

Comment

I think the more important question is what does your child want and how old is your child? If my child was already in a sport and loved it, I would pay for some of those expenses. But if it was a little kid just starting out and I didn't want the child to go down the hockey path then I would say no. I think hockey and dance are probably the most expensive sports out there, and would be pretty hard to afford via one person. The only other situation I could see refusing to pay was if child wanted to go in too many activities, making it unmanagabel logistically, or unaffordable, or affecting grades.

Comment

I've said no to hockey since he was 4! Mother unilaterally put him in, actually step father did...2 yrs ago. Said they weren't seeking contribution and now asking for it and saying I was unreasonable. Keep in mind we're 2 hours drive apart...and 3 other children.

Comment

IN that case, since you never wanted hockey to begin with from age four, I think it would be hard to justify the other parent pay for it, but legally, I have no idea how this plays out in court. It probablyhelps if you have an email or something to show from age four you didn't want to do hockey

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X