This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daycare Costs - Question

Well, I just got my full court order yesterday and already the issues are starting.

My question is: If my ex-wife's boyfriend takes a day off work to watch my kids, do I have to pay half his lost wages as child care?

I am on the hook for 50% of child care costs. The boyfriend makes $30/hr, so she is trying to ding me for half of $210 for a single day. The issues here are:

1) Do lost wages by a third party even count as child care costs?
    2) If he actually charges her (on paper) the $30/hr he would be making at work, do I have to pay that amount? Is there some onus on her to find reasonably priced day care service?
    3) If she tries to stick this on me, how do we resolve it?

he isn't a registered daycare provider that can give you receipts for tax purposes, I don't think you would have to pay for him taking the day off work to watch your child. That would be between your ex and him

Comment

By "full court order" do you mean a Judge has already ordered this?? Or do you mean this is what she is asking for in the court order?

Comment

Originally posted by About_Time View Post
        The boyfriend makes $30/hr, so she is trying to ding me for half of $210 for a single day.
        That is such a joke in so many many ways. How much he make per day at his regular job OBVIOUSLY has nothing to do with daycare costs. Would he even report this as income anyway, NO. Would he do it for free, probably. Is he the best choice for daycare, maybe. Paying for an ex's boyfriend to probably voluntarily watch your child is wacked as is your ex.

Originally posted by About_Time View Post
        3) If she tries to stick this on me, how do we resolve it?
        You could just laugh, or get a lawyer for a girlfriend and have her watch your child for $300 per hour....

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse_117 View Post
          By "full court order" do you mean a Judge has already ordered this?? Or do you mean this is what she is asking for in the court order?
          We have settled all the issues and I have our agreement in the form of a court order. The order says that I am on the hook for 50% of day care costs, but doesn't really address this issue specifically.

Originally posted by billm View Post
          That is such a joke in so many many ways. How much he make per day at his regular job OBVIOUSLY has nothing to do with daycare costs. Would he even report this as income anyway, NO. Would he do it for free, probably. Is he the best choice for daycare, maybe. Paying for an ex's boyfriend to probably voluntarily watch your child is wacked as is your ex.
          Well this was my thinking. It's not like he is going to ask her to pay him $210 to watch the kids. He's living with her right now basically, though technically it's too recent to call it common law. My thinking is that if he takes a day off to watch the kids, that's his perogative - but I'm not paying him for it.

Originally posted by billm View Post
          You could just laugh, or get a lawyer for a girlfriend and have her watch your child for $300 per hour....
          Well my concern was that she actually hands me a receipt from her BF for $210. I mean, it'd be all very winkwinknudgenudge and I know she wouldn't have paid a dime, but technically speaking wouldn't I have to pay it? I probably won't, but just wanted to know if I'm legally in the wrong there.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X