Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when a Parent claims they're broke?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is concerned stepdad in all of this, in the past couple of years employment opportunities have drastically changed how do you know her hours werent cut due to the economy, i hardly think anyone enjoying an income of 86K would delibertately give that up to get out of paying 600 per month, think about it would you??

Comment

ConcernedDad71 is my Husband and their father...."Mom" is a Nurse shes not a retail store clerk.... The place she was formerly employed is expanding NOT laying off....and she admitted in Court in front of Judge she was almos FIRED twice for taking so much time off...including a 6 week stress leave because of litigation....NOt to mention she STILL is employed there BUT only Casual...This doesnt add up!!!

Comment

The fact is whatever she is claiming she had a good fulltime job..then moved 100 km away Im sure the commutes werent easy... But to stand in front of a Judge and explain how she moved due to "Severe Financial Constraints" Yes those are HER words and now she has nothing, and cannot pay Support...

Comment

who would do such a thing

Originally posted by broker48 View Post
          where is concerned stepdad in all of this, in the past couple of years employment opportunities have drastically changed how do you know her hours werent cut due to the economy, i hardly think anyone enjoying an income of 86K would delibertately give that up to get out of paying 600 per month, think about it would you??
          Who would exactly?!?!

I think I like how you are trying to rationally think about this. I have been doing that for almost 3 years broker48, trust me and it is bassackwords to rational.

No, her old employer/union is a huge spanning over multiple hospitals and senior homes and is currently under mega expansion. I would stake a million dollars and my life that she refuses to answer (unknown name unknown number) calls all day and night long, and there are a few private numbers she is more than aware of not answering in order to avoid picking up sick call shifts. In fact, my daughter says at the dinner table the other day. "I heard my Mom talking to (boyfriends mother) that she was thinking of picking up a night shift at her employer in (old city)" the mother says "oh, you work there still?" I mean, what would a boyfriends mother be thinking if she found out that her son's girlfriend is crying that she is broke, cannot survive and cannot pay child support, needs to borrow her van in order to pick up and drive back her daughter because her stupid ex husband won't even though she totaled her car....hmmmm what...you mean you work there still and refuse to pick up shifts???? My son is paying your way right now, I'm lending you my van and you can work a single shift and make over $300 take home and you refuse?

Yes broker48, please rationalize her for me, I cannot.

I beg her to move back so she can rebuild her loss of relationship with our son. I have begged her to listen to our daughter cry and beg to stop this back and forth 2 to 3 day stretches or let her stay with me....I beg her to think about our children.

What does she do? Tells our daughter "why don't you just stay with me and not go back to them?" "I think we're going to move back and live close by in the country" "I don't know why your father doesn't just move here instead". She lives BFN, she changes her story almost hourly. She won't discuss anything with me at all, school wise or anything. Yet, she calls me up and asks me to pick up our daughter from school because she is too far away and cannot get there.

Comment

I did't want to add the equation of her BF until I felt it necessary...The house that "mom" moved into is a house her BF rented in his name and did so "without consulting her in any way...He rented this house to be closer to his kids whom lives 15-20 minutes from "his"residence. "Mom" claims she doesnt have a vehicle because if you all recall I told you she totalled her vehicle in her second car accident in a year, so she claims she has NO vehicle to work, yet conveniently has a vehicle available for her access time. her BF has a vehicle too but apparantly she either cannot or is not allowed to utilize it. "Mom" also recently made the suggestion to her daugher about "Dad" moving to where "Mom" moved stating there is a "ton" of Jobs there

Comment

I have to bring this topic back around because when I recently posted about my husband being served with the Motion to Change, the respondent is trying to make it so that my husband will have to pay back some of the CS she has alredy paid. She is stating that from January - May 2010 she was working fulltime and since may she has lost her fullime employment, so she is requesting th courts to terminate CS for the 8 year old whom they have 50/50 from May 2010 to current and that from May 2010 to Current Child Support be set at $357.00 per month for their son, which means my husband would have to pay her back $1215.00. The Motion will be heard on December 14, and miraculously this week she has decided to employ herself with her casual position (ALL WEEK) and money is flowing for FRO again, which means CS is getting to us. (But if she wins her MOtion to Change we will be tacking on an additional $714 to that $1215 we will have to pay her back. On the flip side she emailied my husband to tell him she was working all week and could not take her daughter for any access time, because she has no babysitter and lives 100km away (even though there is a court order). She stated she is working to pay FRO the money she owes them, ( her kids) and that the 50/50 schedule will resume for next week, when she goes back to NOT working......

Can someone make sense of this?

Comment

There are times..

There are times when peoples income legitimately drops. The world has changed alot since the fall of 2008.

I live in a small town, but it is a major center for oilfield activity, I was a senior manager for an Oilfield contractor who regularly made a decent annual salary. in 2008 we lost our largest contract in the area where I live, and the company decided to scale back operations out of the facility where I was based.

One week before we lost that contract, the childrens mother left and filed for divorce. The children and I were very fortunate in that we are able to have Equal Shared Parenting/ Joint Custody.

But the challenge then became when the company stopped operations in my area completely I spend a grueling two years where I would drop my kids off for school on Monday and drive to offices 2.5 - 5 hours away to try and continue my employment. I was able to work from the facility where I live as the only employee onsite on days where I was not required somewhere else. Thursday afternoons I would race back to my home town to pick the kids up at 4PM. It was exhausting, but it was the only way I was able to keep up with the SS and CS obligations I had been saddled with.

When the company was sold in the fall of 2009, my future became uncertain due to restructuring, but I held on doing whatever I could to keep earning enough to pay SS and CS and provide my kids a good home on the farm for over half of every week.

In January, the new company made the decision to close and sell the office in my hometown, they told me they would not lay me off but I would have to relocate in order to continue employment.

In order to relocate I would have to give up the Equal Shared Parenting Joint Custody that the children and I have, so I made the decision to strike out on my own as an independent contractor. Despite the slowdown in the economy, there is still some work in my home area that allows me to maintain a modest lifestyle and share the parenting of our children.

I now make less than half of what I made in previous years, and my former spouse refuses to consider the material change, so I am continuing to pay the CS and SS as ordered. However, I have had to borrow to continue to keep all the balls in the air.. and to pay lawyers..

I would like my new income to reflect the CS obligation, and use the offset method. But the Childrens mother refuses to mediate or discuss the subject.

I work four days every week, the children's mother works 2 sometimes 3..

In your opinion am I intentionally underemployed?

What happens when I can borrow no more money, which is essentially about a month and half ago? Will I be a deadbeat dad if I cannot pay her the same CS and SS that I could when I made twice as much?

Comment

File a Motion To Change. Mom's opinion isn't the law. Clearly you aren't intentionally underemployed. Document every time you try to negotiate, as she had better be careful, as if you do succeed at getting a reduced amount, she will owe YOU retro overpayment. My hubby did this and we won. Mom tried everything she could to prevent lowering CS, including imputing his income, she lost in the end, and ended up owing us over 3000.00 in overpaid CS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X