Lawyer charged Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer charged Costs

Wasn’t quite sure which thread it was in, but there was discussion where lawyers ethics was debated— for ill-advising their clients to not settle a reasonable offer, suggesting they go for the moon, or being the cause of conflict in playing the game, or purposefully causing delay or driving up costs.

My ex and her lawyer (at the time) needlessly pulled every tactic to drive up my costs when they saw their ship sinking. Lawyers are supposed to aid the court and help get cases resolved, not purposefully bankrupt the other side so that they can no longer afford legal representation, hoping they give in.

Here is a case where a lawyer was tasked with paying costs. Decision of Justice Grant Campbell in CAS v. C.T and J.B, 2017). Sorry I don’t know how to hyperlink.

The original judgement where the lawyer was ordered pay costs can be found here: http://canlii.ca/t/h41d9, the citation is C.A.S. of the R.M. of W. v C.T. and J.B., 2017 ONSC 3188 (CanLII),

However, this decision was appealed and the Ontario Court of Appeal reversed this ruling and decided the lawyer should not pay costs. The ONCA judgment is here: Children's Aid Society of the Regional Municipality, 2017 ONCA 931 (CanLII)

Appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada was sought, but denied. http://canlii.ca/t/hsqn0

Comment

My lawyer- (is he still my lawyer? hopefully I'm done iwth him for now...anyways)- when I was researching all his cases for a consultation, I read one where he, personally, got hit with costs because the court found his behaviour kinda outrageous. It did give me pause- but that's what I was looking for at the time- someone who was willing to play the mindgame of chicken well. And he did. That time, however, lol he got hit in the face.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X