child & spousal support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child & spousal support

spousal support is up for review and I would think and hope spousal will go away or at least be minimized..... (2 kids)

now the issue is that the older kid will go to university this year, away from home most likely

that would mean I only have to pay CS for one child now, but SS would go up

can I not claim to continue paying SS for the older one while she/he is in university , but put the money in her/his hand

and a top help for the tuition she/he needs to pay

wouldn't that still be considered to pay CS for two kids?

happy to pay for the kids, but not to the ex!

First, you really need to go back and review advice you were given throughout your posts and think about what people have said. I see that Janus gave you some good info on ss and what your chances are.

Second, you need to review other threads and pins (including using the search function) before posting a thread that has been addressed ad nauseam. I wrote a pinned post on post secondary costs that was very clear.

Based on your five years of posts it is obvious you are looking for any way possible to not pay your ex. This is a terrible approach. You should be approaching this as what is in our previous order on changes and what are my obligations to my kids as they age.

You have two issues. Ss and cs. Ss is a lot more complicated than cs and post secondary and that says a lot since post secondary is a devil. You may never get out of paying ss and a judge may simply say you pay her more ss in place of cs. Which is back to your approach. It is not I hate paying her, it is I supported her to get self sufficient and she agreed to this, her issues getting there are not my problem.

As for the kid...if they go away, depending on your income, you may pay a monthly amount in addition to summer support. You WILL pay a portion of their expenses including living expenses. For instance, if you make 100,000 and she makes 25,000 which is mostly ss, you will more than likely be expected to pay summer support based off your income plus a bit more monthly for her to maintain the residence. Your child will also be expected to share the costs depending on the family situation. Those costs would be offset by grants. Example, kid decides to go away to school for a program that is available close to home. They receive say $5000 in grants and work all summer. Kid will likely pay 1/3 the cost to go away with you and mom splitting the rest.

Truly, do a search and read through threads. You will see other cases and information. This site isn’t Alexa responding to your demands. It has a wealth of info YOU need to look through.

Comment

thank you rockscan!

Comment

Hey, Sorry to jump in on your post I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to start my own. First time posting anything on here, but I’ve been digging around here for a while trying to find information. I couldn’t find anything on spousal support and what counts as such. I’ve been separated over a year(living out of the house) and she’s been living in the house with our 3 kids. I’ve been trying to figure out if I could make it work with her after affairs and her being a pathological liar but it was clear she couldn’t change. I’ve been paying for absolutely everything as far as mortgage, utilities, property tax, property/her car insurance, Internet, and giving her $600/month on top of all that(about $3200/month) she doesn’t work and also collects the child benefit from the gov. My child support According to DRO would be $1600 and everything there after counts towards that spousal support. So my question is can I claim what I’ve been paying for as spousal support on my taxes? Also on a side note i did find on another post that vehicle allowance should not come into play when determining CS as that is required to make the income but the DRO(female) said it had to be and that’s the way it was. Could some please verify this

Comment

Originally posted by Part-time-dad View Post
          Hey, Sorry to jump in on your post I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to start my own. First time posting anything on here, but I’ve been digging around here for a while trying to find information. I couldn’t find anything on spousal support and what counts as such. I’ve been separated over a year(living out of the house) and she’s been living in the house with our 3 kids. I’ve been trying to figure out if I could make it work with her after affairs and her being a pathological liar but it was clear she couldn’t change. I’ve been paying for absolutely everything as far as mortgage, utilities, property tax, property/her car insurance, Internet, and giving her $600/month on top of all that(about $3200/month) she doesn’t work and also collects the child benefit from the gov. My child support According to DRO would be $1600 and everything there after counts towards that spousal support. So my question is can I claim what I’ve been paying for as spousal support on my taxes? Also on a side note i did find on another post that vehicle allowance should not come into play when determining CS as that is required to make the income but the DRO(female) said it had to be and that’s the way it was. Could some please verify this
          CRA website is always the best place to start.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ts.html#cndtns

Comment

It has been many years now, but the rules are similar. My husband was paying all the bills for the home that his ex was living in with the kids. He considered that to be spousal. He also gave her cash for table child support. He claimed the spousal on his taxes and CRA disputed it. They disallowed anything that was a bill or mortgage payment he paid. Any amounts that she did not actually see the cash did not count.

Comment

As I recall, in order for spousal to be deductible on your tax return it must be paid pursuant to a court order or written agreement...do you have such an agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by rollingesto View Post
                As I recall, in order for spousal to be deductible on your tax return it must be paid pursuant to a court order or written agreement...do you have such an agreement?
                Absolutely true

Comment

Originally posted by rollingesto View Post
                  If that was not the rule then people could effectively income split at will.

Comment

So we do have a written agreement that has been witnessed and signed by a witness. It states all the things I’m paying for(mortgage, utilities, condo fees, Internet, insurance and giving her the extra $600 on top) but it doesn’t state that i am paying these things as child or spousal just the fact that while we are separated i will continue to pay these things. Would that work

Comment

Originally posted by Part-time-dad View Post
                      So we do have a written agreement that has been witnessed and signed by a witness. It states all the things I’m paying for(mortgage, utilities, condo fees, Internet, insurance and giving her the extra $600 on top) but it doesn’t state that i am paying these things as child or spousal just the fact that while we are separated i will continue to pay these things. Would that work

Well, for starters, only half of a mortgage payment would count as support, were it to count as support.

That said, you are missing a fundamental feature of support. Support is cash. Support is not the rich parent buying things that the rich parent feels is appropriate for the poor parent. That's charity. Support is cash paid to the recipient parent, and the recipient parent gets 100% of the decision making power over how that money will be spent. Not 97%, not 99%... 100%.

You are not paying support; you are being nice. Stop being nice, and start paying support. There is a reasonable chance that you are accruing arrears while you are being nice.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X