Child Support Is Not Forever!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Is Not Forever!!!

One of the case laws Arabian had posted in one of my threads awhile back, I had been following with great interest:

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    A case just released today on CanLii from Alberta. There are some similarities to your situation and some notable differences. This is from a hard-assessed judge. You might find it useful, or not:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc...16abqb600.html

Something else to consider (If I come across relevant case law I will post it)... you are university-educated and courts sometimes feel it is reasonable that children be given similar opportunities to achieve same level of education (I know, I know.. you probably did it without help of your parents....). Still, I know it is a consideration in some cases.

My reason for bringing this up is that you should be aware of every pitfall you could face in the future. A good lawyer would be able to advise you further.
    That was her original post, to point out I could be in for an uphill battle to try to end my child support obligations. What caught my attention in that particular case was paragraph #18 where the judge states:

"The Father’s application to end child support as of September 2016 is dismissed. However given my Farden factors analysis in this case there is some question in my mind as to the son’s actual long term commitment to maintaining his studies, whether they are fulltime or part-time."

To be followed by paragraph #19:

"As such, as case management Judge, I will review this matter again after the current school year, in October 2017 in order to determine what progress the child made during the course of the 2016/17 school year, and what his intentions are going forward. At that time in October 2017, this issue of child support may have to be adjusted or re-determined depending on my analysis at that time of the Farden factors, and whether in the circumstances of this case, the child remains “dependent”."

Well, now fast forward to April 28th, 2017:

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/do...?resultIndex=2

So, I guess for this mother using (or attempting to use) their over-18 child to continue to milk their dad and ex-hubby (a. k. a. FREE ATM machine) by playing the "school" card didn't work out too well.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X