steps and how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steps and how long?

I'm in the beginning of everything and I want to know how things start and how long it takes?
    We have both retained lawyers a couple months ago but nothing official has occurred. I asked him to go through mediation to put things on paper legally as the arrangements were not working but he kept refusing and got a lawyer instead to write me a letter so I retained one as well. I realized just by talking on the phone and emailing and our Lawyers talking to each other ,that I am not going to be able to afford this so I'm thinking of self representing myself and maybe getting a lawyer to help me along the way instead.
    If an applications is filed with the courts, how long does it take to get a court date? From the first court date, how long does it take to get to the end?
    Last edited by 4mylove; 07-11-2016, 05:57 PM. Reason: written badly

Normal people settle.... crazy people go to court.

Comment

Do normal people use lawyers to settle? If I cannot afford to use one, is it normal to go through his lawyer personally?

Comment

You can represent yourself, just make sure to notify them about that change, and don't email his lawyer too much....it will cost your ex everytime you communicate with his lawyer lol. The system is not friendly for average folk without a lawyer.

Comment

"Crazy people go to court" ? This seems to suggest that if two parties go to court, they're both crazy. Certainly this is sometimes the case, but a sensible person dealing with a crazy may well be reasonable to go to court, if what they're being expected to agree to would take a crazy person to agree to. So, in many cases, there is a sensible person using the court to try to deal with a crazy person.

Be careful about your statement "go through his lawyer personally." Always remember that, no matter what they may pretend, the other party's lawyer is acting for the other party. Certainly, though, you can self-represent against another party who has a lawyer.

Getting to a trial, where a judge can make an order without the other party's consent, will take about two years from the time of application. If the other party is totally unreasonable and unwilling to settle, then the conferences between now and then will be mostly a waste of your and the court's (our society's) time and resources. Fortunately, most people are not this unreasonable.

It is not unusual to have a lawyer advise you on what you can reasonably expect to get from mediation.

If you use a lawyer, it might be wise to direct the lawyer to send an Offer to Settle to the other side and to not otherwise communicate with them, so you don't pay for communications which have as their main purpose increasing billings.

Comment

Unfortunately, Crazy takes over Normal

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
            Normal people settle.... crazy people go to court.
            It only takes one Anglophone in a full room of Francophones to chair the meeting in English.

Therefore... it only takes one Crazy person to take the case to court.

Just too bad for the Francophones at the meeting... and too bad for normal people who wish to avoid the court process.

I guest... too bad for me.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. Stbx is extremely manipulative and verbally abusive to mom even in front of the kids (no holdd barred) and has threatened suicide several times whenever upset and has said some pretty harmful things that could hurt the 2 kids to get to me even though has never actually hurt them so I don't know what my chances are if I proceed alone or is this complicated that I need a lawyer for sure that I cannot even afford

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X