X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS from TWO exes?

Hi all again,
    I'm looking for help for a friend who is in disbelief about a sudden announcement...

My friend began a relationship in which two children were accepted as their own.
    They were being financially supported by their previous parent, and one continues to receive support to this day as that daughter is in university.

Now, since the separation, it has been brought to my friends attention that they TOO are responsible to pay CS for this SAME daughter.

How is it possible to have CS payable by BOTH biological parent AND this second parent at the same time? Talk about double-dipping!

Is there any end to this crazy notion of entitlement?

Thanks for your help...

PD

I have seen a non-biological parent expected to pay child support to a non-biological child. The non-biological parent assumed the role of the parent in the child's life and thus upon dissolution of the relationship was ordered to pay CS. So I do not believe it is NOT uncommon.

I know this from a personal experience with a family member.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixRising View Post
      I have seen a non-biological parent expected to pay child support to a non-biological child. The non-biological parent assumed the role of the parent in the child's life and thus upon dissolution of the relationship was ordered to pay CS. So I do not believe it is NOT uncommon.

I know this from a personal experience with a family member.
      Yes, but what about when the biological parent is paying CS? I think this is the question of the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
        Yes, but what about when the biological parent is paying CS? I think this is the question of the original post.
        The biological parent was ordered to pay child support. At the time there was no such thing as FRO. No money was ever sent but it was ordered. The biological parent refused to pay any support and has gotten away with it ever since. Since the separation occurred in 1995 and the non-bio dad had assumed the role of parent when they separated he was ordered to pay child support.

So the answer would be yes. Both bio and non-bio fathers were ordered to pay child support.

I would assume that if this family member of mine really wanted to today they could go back and try and get the support that was required throughout the years. However, the bio-dad will only quit his job once again and nothing will ever be enforced.

I just think of him today as the sperm donor as he was never a real dad for the child, never involved and never around The child learned and grew into a wonderful human being all thanks to Mom. But it has been a complete struggle for Mom. Today he is still Dad for the child despite anyone else's view.

Comment

The Bio parent continues, without issue, to pay reasonable CS.

So, now the next question; who is responsible for the 'other' expenses? are they now going to be split between the two Exes? Who should be appealed to first? The Bio-parent, or the second ex?

This seems like an even better 'pot of gold' than SS!

Comment

just plain wrong

This is just one of MANY problems with the guidelines. How can one child recieve CS from TWO people, and they have the nerve to call it "child support". This is nothing but a cash grab by custodial parents and has nothing to do with the child's true "expenses". It is a scam cooked up by those who created the guidelines to ensure the custodial parent (90% of the time the women) benefits at the expense of the NCP's (90% of the time the man).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X