Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:30 PM
Banned

respondent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Having her punished for lying is a waste of time and money.

I believe you could file a motion to update child support (and spousal if permitted) and provide the income information as proof to impute her. She may not be so inclined to spend your money without your permission.
What you saying somewhat matches what I heard from my lawyer, and from another lawyer I called for "a second opinion". What I don't understand however is what is the point of sworn affidavit if people can lie there without any consequences?
Old 06-28-2022, 09:51 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by respondent View Post
What you saying somewhat matches what I heard from my lawyer, and from another lawyer I called for "a second opinion". What I don't understand however is what is the point of sworn affidavit if people can lie there without any consequences?

The amount of lies people put in affidavits would keep a court busy for centuries. And judges know it. Not to mention that many people focus more on being morally right rather than just getting through a matter with limited casualties. You would waste thousands trying to prove her a liar rather than simply winning less support. Only you care that shes a liar. The court cares about what her actual income is.

Your two lawyers were right. Work on imputing an income and reducing support. That is the most important focus.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Your two lawyers were right. Work on imputing an income and reducing support. That is the most important focus.
The question what do I impute as an income. She had 4 credit applications in the last 1.5 years. She has provided different income level in each of those applications, because conditions where "provide proof that an income is at least $XXX". So she may have made double of $XXX, just for the credit application it was sufficient to show just $XXX.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:52 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Use the highest one. Attach it as your document as well as your proof you said you have. Make an offer to settle in the mid range.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Banned

terryfyde is on a distinguished road

Lawyer was right. Lying doesn't matter until you get to trial unless you try to discredit them a long the way in other motions.

File yourself going for the money. Worth it.

Your costs could be $100/hour for you.
The costs of people to untangle the money web but maybe you get an order that has them paying for that financial advisor.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfyde View Post
Lawyer was right. Lying doesn't matter until you get to trial unless you try to discredit them a long the way in other motions.
Shouldn't court order the costs at trial or motion? I.e. if I bring them a proof she 100% lied if affidavit (in order to get financial benefit), and court imputes her income, wouldn't she also be responsible for my legal fees?

I understand court may cover only fraction of legal fees (say 50%), but technically even that should discourage her from lying moving forward?

Tags
hiding income