Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible move by other parent

Am I missing something?
    Separated for 6yrs and generally things are working well with co-parenting (50/50). Other parent has new partner in province but 6hr plane ride away. Other parent is starting new job in new partner’s town and will be working on a 2 week rotation “to start”. He’s keeping his place here and wants to move to a 2 week parenting schedule. (Every 2 weeks he’ll fly back and parent while working remotely)
    I hate the schedule but will do a lot to keep both parents in child’s life at 50/50. I’ve agreed to it for now.
    Other parent won’t say what he has in mind after the “start”. I’m assuming it’s moving permanently to other town. Flying back and forth is expensive and could
    become exhausting. I don’t know if he’d ask for child to move with him or not.
    My preference:
    1. We stay with a 50:50 schedule. I thinks it’s best for child. I’m not interested in rotations longer than 2 weeks.
    2. If he moves, child lives here and we work out visiting schedule with other parent.
    Am I shooting myself in the foot by agreeing to this 2 week rotation? Will this make it easier for him to move with child if he decides that’s what he wants?

I wouldn't be okay with the 2 week rotations...based on the facts you presented...it *feels* like the start of a push towards something else.

and based on what I've read from caselaw and seen here- relocation cases are really hard. I don't think having a new partner is sufficient justification.

How old is your kid? can they travel alone by airplane if you guys have to work out visitation schedules?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
      and based on what I've read from caselaw and seen here- relocation cases are really hard. I don't think having a new partner is sufficient justification.
      Mobility cases got even harder with the recent changes as well. Mobility cases are some of the hardest cases you can bring forward in family court.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        Mobility cases got even harder with the recent changes as well. Mobility cases are some of the hardest cases you can bring forward in family court.
        So if its 50/50 parenting and 1 parent wants to move away, is that parent essentially defaulting that the kids stay with the parent that is staying put?

Comment

goBlue had a threat here and there was some good opinion in there.
          He lived in Timbuktoo an hour or so away from Sudbury and his ex wanted to move to North Bay.
          He was advised he may have to pack up and move to Sudbury at least because it was better for the kid.
          You have to look up the thread.

Sorry to do a little high-jacking but how far does the other parent have to move to make it a mobility case? (yeah, I have another thread).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X