Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Inheritance

Hi all,

If my ex receives an inheritance, is that money counted as income? Should his child support payments to me go up with this income he will receive?

Many thanks for your feedback.

No and no. An inheritance is not income, you are 'entitled'...to none of it.

You really should go back and read about how CS is calculated, specifically line 150 on income tax return.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

In terms in child support payable, how is it arrived at? It is line 150 on Canadian Tax return, correct? To be quite honest, I really don't know how the amount of child tax payable is arrived at. Might you know of a link I can read?

Many thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Where is the Light View Post
        I really don't know how the amount of child tax.
        I know that was unintentional, but oh my how it is accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Where is the Light View Post
          Hi all,

If my ex receives an inheritance, is that money counted as income? Should his child support payments to me go up with this income he will receive?

Many thanks for your feedback.
          Nope. If it is a substantial amount it will be put into a family trust and accounted out of line 150 generally. The intent of the person who willed the money to the person in question was for that person to get the money. Not you or the children. The courts will not intervene.

Warning: If you marry someone who has a rich family you won't see a dime.

Comment

What some adults who can't rely on a big inheritance do is get a job instead. At least that's what I hear.

Comment

What about medical settlements and lost wages...hefty medical settlements I might add?

Comment

Originally posted by somethingelse View Post
                What some adults who can't rely on a big inheritance do is get a job instead. At least that's what I hear.
                rumours! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by somethingelse View Post
                  Or they become POTUS and hire their kids.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X