Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for trial

Hello,

Can any one make a recommendation on a book that I can buy to outline the procedural steps in preparing for Trial ? I have a Trial this Sept to deal with custody and access.
    Trial record, book of documents, questioning witness cross examining, introducing evidence, I need it all.

Thanks in advance.

Do you live near a law library that you can get access to?

'Handling a Family Law Matters in Ontario' by MacDonald and Partners has a chapter on conducting a trial (Chapter 16)

also 'Evidence in Family Law' by Harold Niman has a chapter on conducting trials.

They're both written for lawyers, but they give you a comprehensive amount of information on the matter.

Comment

I strongly recommend Ontario Courtroom Procedure by Fuerst and Sanderson, two Ontario judges, available online from the publisher, Lexis Nexis. Like many textbooks, it's expensive at about a hundred dollars, but that's less than the cost of half an hour with a lawyer.

Also, watch at least one trial before your own. Watch it early on- it will show you the importance of Requests to Admit and Affidavits of Documents, which need to be done early, as well as how to cross-examine and what's admissible and what's not admissible.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X