Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 PM

Perserverance is on a distinguished road
Post Final Say vs. Sole

What are the major differences between having joint custody with final say vs. sole custody?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Off the top of my head, I would say there is no meaningful difference. "Final say" may include some obligation to inform or consult the other parent before making decisions, but ultimately you make the decision. Maybe "final say" could refer to some subset of parenting - final say over activities and schools, but not over residence or education? but that seems unusual to me.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:56 PM

undersc0re is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perserverance View Post
What are the major differences between having joint custody with final say vs. sole custody?
Sole custody as my lawyer explained it only gives you the legal right to soley make the decisions in regards to your childrens lives, I am not sure if it helps you get a passport or travel abroad easier, I think anyone with an access order needs to sign a letter for you in that case even if you have sole custody. Mabe you can make the decision to put your child in private school, or choose a religion for them....maybe check with a lawyer how it could help you, joint custody with final say might be an interim order thing thats easier to get...
Old 01-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

I think it's a scam, "final say" = sole custody.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:44 PM

YoungDad23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perserverance View Post
My understanding is that if a parent has sole custody they are able to make decisions about the child's life (including travel) without consulting the other parent and are only required to "advise" the other parent of their decision.

A parent with sole custody can also usually relocate without having to get consent from the other parent as long as arrangements for access to continue are made.

Final say requires that the parents negotiate and make joint decisions about the various aspects of care for the child. Only if the parents disagree would the final say clause come into play.

If final say is put in place for a joint custody situation, it is often split between the parents (but not always), for example: One parent has final say in health and religion and the other parent has final say in education and extracurricular activities.

Last edited by YoungDad23; 01-16-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: clarity