Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:31 PM

helenj is on a distinguished road

Hi,
My child.

Does that make a difference?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2021, 05:39 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

if you took it to court- it probably would. The whole point of CS and S7 is so the child(ren) don't have to live the lesser life because of the parents' divorce.

To all of you pooping on private school/Montessori. There are a lot of reasons people choose private school. Some prefer the philosophy/teaching style. I fought my ex to keep my daughter in Montessori- because there's more oversight for her allergies.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:12 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
To all of you pooping on private school/Montessori. There are a lot of reasons people choose private school. Some prefer the philosophy/teaching style. I fought my ex to keep my daughter in Montessori- because there's more oversight for her allergies.
One of my siblings has their kid in Montessori and NEVER STOPS BRAGGING about their kids progress and tends to look down on my other sibling. It grates on us. Dont be like my sibling iona!!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:51 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenj View Post
Hi,
My child.

Does that make a difference?

Thanks
Yes. You already established the status quo of private over public option.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:34 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
One of my siblings has their kid in Montessori and NEVER STOPS BRAGGING about their kids progress and tends to look down on my other sibling. It grates on us. Don�t be like my sibling iona!!
lol. never. I don't even see it as 'prestigious'- technically all preschools are "private" - and they're really childcare; which is just stupid expensive whether you call it Daycare or Montessori.

I do like the philosophy of independent play. And the low teacher/student ratio helps with her allergies.

In general though- I agree with everyone else that it's not necessary for JK/SK- esp. if there are no special circumstances present.

But I do believe some private schools offer benefits. If I had stayed in the east end of the GTA- I would've considered the Trafalger school for D4. On the other hand- a few of my friends have their daughters at Havergal. Haven't heard great things.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Yes. You already established the status quo of private over public option.
The only thing is that we were still a couple when my older son went to private JK so it was more affordable.

Now, I am paying lawyers and separate rent.

So, you're saying there is a chance a Judge may look at the previous status quo and order it for the younger kid? I guess in this instance I Have to show my financial situation?
Old 06-24-2021, 12:42 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
The only thing is that we were still a couple when my older son went to private JK so it was more affordable.
That is the tried, true and tested definition of "status quo". You did it prior to separation and will be expected to continue it afterwards.

Quote:
Now, I am paying lawyers and separate rent.

So, you're saying there is a chance a Judge may look at the previous status quo and order it for the younger kid? I guess in this instance I Have to show my financial situation?
Yes. The probability of the judge, when making a civil determination on "the balance of probabilities" will determine that your past conduct of having the child in private school is indeed status quo and should continue for both children.

The judge may not care about your current financial situation, your legal bills, etc... You won't be paying for a lawyer forever hopefully. But, again that is determined by how much compromise you are willing to make on your position (as well as the other party in your matter) and bring the whole situation to swift and FINAL settlement.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 06-25-2021, 01:56 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies.

So an update:

She's saying she will continue paying for it and then ask the Judge during Trial for me to pay my portion.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:42 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Clearly state that you disagree with her decision because it is not in the best interests of your child.