This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs to raise a child & the "Extras"

FYI, I am not oblivious to the costs and what non-custodial parent's ultimately pay, as I said, I live both sides of the fence, struggling to get my ex to pay something, anything!, and my husband pays well over $770/month for one child, plus "extra expenses" and travel and gifts excreta (and not because he has high income but rather because he now cannot afford a lawyer). (Yes I know there are those that pay more for one).

Decent Dad, I know what you are saying, we’re living it. But I was just being the devil’s advocate, and voicing my views, I know F.L. is against the dad’s but I am still hopeful some ex couples can put that aside and “actually” think of the children first and stop trying to make Mr. Q. Public think they actually put this kind of support directly into the care of the children. I have two teens and of course the cost of food and cloths is expensive, but I’m sure I’d spend close to that without them, my hydro is the same with or without them, the cost to heat is the same if there are 2 or 10 people in the house, my mortgage doesn’t change, nor does the cost for anything else. So when I hear a mom, (yes I am a custodial mom) say things like so and so doesn’t pay enough, does so and so expect me to raise kids on this? It angers me because I wonder if they are putting the money on the kids or their bills, and this by no means, includes those unfortunate people like myself struggling to get something for the children or are only getting scraps and working two or more jobs to make ends meet.

I’m talking about parent’s with jobs and the ability. My views are that although every parent has an uncontested obligation to support the children they helped bring into this world, support should not include supporting the ex or paying all the extras because the ex uses her money on other things. Both parents’ incomes should at least be looked at when determining the “need” for Child Support when both incomes are high or mom makes more than dad And yes I believe this is the case more and more these days. After all one of the bases for these table amounts is to “equalize” the standard of living not deplete the non-custodial income and raise the standard of living for the custodial parent.

Case in point, my husband’s ex easily makes more than three times what we do "together", yet we pay through the nose. If a judge would look at what the custodial parent “should” be contributing to the child’s care, they’d quickly realize she does not “need” all the extras she constantly is awarded. Some month's she doesn't even cash the cheques!!! If you go by the table amounts, according to dad’s income, he is responsible for approximately $500, and mom should be contributing more than $1100/month (tables only go to $150,000). Not to mention the high cost to excercise access which dad covers. I’d like to know what family, with both spouses still married to each other that spend more than $1600/month on each child and I’m not talking about costs that they would have if they did not have children, as these expenses are a given. As I see it, the extras when having children are clothing, day care if they are young, and high grocery bills if they are older (i.e. teens). And I know I’ll get posts on day care costs, we all know good child care is sparse, and therefore costs are "very" high, but both parent’s are supposed to share these costs proportionate to income just as if they were married. If married and mom made less than dad, dad’s income would cover a proportionately larger portion and mom’s less, and similar if the situation was reversed. So why do the rules change when they are no longer married? Because they have breasts and not testicles? The courts are living in the dark ages because they assign the “women cannot possible support themselves” cloak on all women. And gave them the undeniable right to be supported as if they could not do so themselves. That’s absurd! Like my user name says, Family Law Needs To Change, for the “best interest of the children” not the best interests of the “Mothers”. So when I hear about extra things like birthday gifts for children not even the children of the parents involved it’s both sad and maddening that the system has come to this. Why can’t the parent's understand parties make the children happy, if still married would they be having this discussion? If they could afford it they'd do it, if not the child unfortunately would not participate. But would one parent bad mouth and place blame the other? NO! Again why do the rules change after separation? This is not only the case with gifts; it is in alot of issues including child care and all extraordinary expenses.

I apologize if I have offended anyone, that is not my intention, I’m just frustrated at the entire FL B*** S***.

Great post!

As I have stated so many time before, there is only one person that would not want the SYSTEM to change, the recipient of support payments.

Payors, second families and woman with dignity and respect will vote for reform. You have to live the SYSTEM before you can even understand how screwed up it is. But, once people see it for what it really is, they are shocked.

FL, what is even worse, is when the recipient re-marries and has duel incomes, plus support. No one cares about Standard of Living then for the payor. The SYSTEM is ripe with double standards and biases. And you are correct, these career women are milking it for all its worth.

- If the payor remarries, he obviously has more money to pay mom, support goes up. If mom remarries... oh well.
    - As you stated, support is based soley on the payor's income... the recipient can make less, the same or more... what about equal SOL's then?
    - no one is tracking the recipients expenditures... yet the payor is tracked and legislated like a common criminal
    - payor's are judged as guilty until proven innocence
    - and on and on...

There a re a lot of women I talk to that are disgustde with these mom's that milk the system. It cast an ugly shadow on the entire movement to equality.

We are equal until divorced. Then it is poor helpless mom. And they hide behind the kids. Oh... it is child support for the child... right. You could not begin top spend that amount on the kids per month. Oh, and that amount is supposed to include the recipient's contribution. Sure. Right....

Comment

My son and I were left with nothing. I lost 60 pounds when we first separated because we lived 25 miles from anywhere and when I managed to sell off almost all of my household possessions to my landlords so I could feed my son, my ex went on with his life and his high paying job and I helped put him through. He didn't care how he left us with nothing and the court never took that into consideration. Don't forget about some of us custodial moms that have been left out in the rain by the system because of lack of knowledge and resources. My ex took my car after we separated and I couldn't pay the phone and hence no internet to access anything like this website. When I went to court, I was severely vulnerable, physically and emotionally emaciated, yet HE WON! The judge turned a blind eye to my son and I. That was in 2005. It has taken me two years to get to a point where I can actually give my son any extras. My ex has a house, 4 cars, land, hunting camps, cattle and the list goes on. I am sick of people complaining that dad's out there get the short end of the FL stick. There are some women, like myself who have been run over so many times by the system. I didn't want to be on social assistance, but what was I supposed to do? I have always made sure that my son was fed before me, he always has new clothes and I have NEVER EVER abused my son's child support. I have sold everything that I have ever owned, I have not had new clothes for about 4 years now and I still wear the same shoes from back then. My son comes first, and if I have to starve again to make sure he has what he needs, I will gladly do it! I have kept us from going to women's shelters I don't know how many times and I have been abused and been taken advantage of by almost everybody I knew since I've been separated. Now that we are in a good secure place FINALLY, I am taking my s.o.b ex back to court with all the ammo in the world. I'm hoping that this time the judge won't dismiss me as he did last time!

Comment

I am curious. Did you not split everything as per the law when you divorced. What happened?

You mentioned you are receiving CS? Is that court ordered? Obvisously he is paying what was ordered. If his income has increased, you can take him back to court. You also have FRO style offices across the country. Can you not get legal aid? or self represent?

What is your job situation. What have YOU done to help yourself?

I am sick of people that continue to harbour resentment towards the ex when they do good after a divorce. Did he have 4 cars, house, cattle, etc when you split? Or did he work towards this post divorce. I am sure there is a lot more to this story. What if he was poor and living in a box... would we hear a different story?

I find it extremely unlikely the judge turned a blind eye... unless of course the request was so far out there s/he had no choice.

You will need to give better detail than "run over by the system"... otherwise I simply see whining.

Isn't it want all you mom's want in the end anyway... to have complete and 100% custody, access and control over your child. You asked for it.. well, you got it.

Comment

DickStacie,

That is about what happened to me when I "had" to leave my ex.
          I was lucky to get out with my life, he went on to a better life with the skills I supported him to get. I lived with nothing trying to feed my children on hand outs, food banks and local kitchens. That's why I specifically said, "this by no means, includes those unfortunate people like myself struggling to get something for the children or are only getting scraps and working two or more jobs to make ends meet."

My ex kept the house, three cars, (one a 67 camereo, spelling?), two snow machines, a quad, a boat, canoe, house trailer, the list is huge, I had my life and the kids, he was a drug user/seller, very physically and emotionally abusive. That's why I know what it is like to struggle, and I know it can be done. It is hard as he** but it is doable. The system did NOTHING for me or my kids when he kidnapped them and threatened to kill them. The system did nothing for me or the kids whe he literally hired someone to killl me. I was lucky to get out with my life, his then new wife called to warn me and the kids, I gues she grew a back bone. It literally took me until this past Novemember to get back on my feet, after getting the guts to return to school, (I left in 96) and I had no help from the FL system or any system. I KNOW where you are coming from. I know because I lived it. Kudos to you for doing what was necessary despite the odds against you. Kudos to you for still doing the best for the kids. I did not include you in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Decent Dad
            FL, what is even worse, is when the recipient re-marries and has duel incomes, plus support. No one cares about Standard of Living then for the payor. The SYSTEM is ripe with double standards and biases. And you are correct, these career women are milking it for all its worth.

I hear you on everything you are saying, my husband's ex's 2nd husband worked for the Ottawa government, they bought a new house every year. When she cheated on him for a doctor, he or course took his son and was gone, he learned how to deal with the ex through the mistakes he watched us make. She is now on husband number three child number three. Living in a home you could fit five of my houses in. Yup, FL is so friggin fair!!

Comment

This is an interesting collaborative conversation.

lv

Comment

My ex had everything and was living with his parents when we split. He found someone else about a month later. He has done the same thing with her in regards to the fact that he moved in with her..she had her house from her separation. My ex never contributes to anything household. He tells me that he only has paid for groceries this whole time while he's been with her. He had the vehicles, one that I paid over $11, 000 on after I used my car as a trade-in. I didn't have a job becuase I had just had our son when that happened, so it went into his name for the lower interest rate so he took it because I could no longer afford the payments. After my ex got with his new woman, he dropped my support to almost nothing. The cattle he had bought during our marriage. We couldn't afford groceries but somehow he could afford a 2200 dollar cow. He was going to school on and off while we were married and my parents helped with groceries and some car payments. I didn't get a job because I was 25 km from the nearest town, as I said, we lived in a very rural area. I had to rely on a lady through my church to help me with groceries, and the odd time my ex mother in law would feel kinda guilty and take us out grocery shopping. I did what I could do at the time and things are much better now, thank god.

Comment

Great Posts!

I use to wonder if a law could be passed so the receipents had to prove with receipts the spending they do with the child support money because basically they spend it however they want there is no control over that maybe down the road they will have to, now wouldn't that be nice, also why is it when parents are together and can't afford to send there child thru school and the child either has to work or collect OSAP to go that suddenly now that the parents are apart they have to pay for a third or whatever it is to pay for there education thru the courts, makes sense NOT! My ex's ex use to always boast how his child support payments went to pay for the daycare for her other children she had with her new husband, that was always a kick in the teeth. Yes there are mothers who use the cash wisely and for the best interest of the child then there are those who spend it on themselves and the child totally misses out on the support. When the mom remarries and does very well for work herself over $50,000 per year and the new hubby makes $100,000 plus they are receiving $500 a month for child support as a third income then why do the kids grow up with hammy downs and are forced to get part time jobs when they are legally of age to get one for the soul purpose of buying there own clothes and such etc...so that the mother doesn't have to, how is that right??? and that's exactly why she had them out working! She is one of the most selfish people I have ever met on the planet and even once support ended she still tried to sweet talk my ex in to continuing to pay her claiming that his daughter still needed his support yet we knew who really wanted to still have the support because the daughter has 2 part time jobs to put herself thru school and now pays her mother rent!!! i guess to fill the gap for the no more child support she is no longer getting lol!!! My ex is so excited he can now pay and help his daughter out directly with money to help with school instead of having to write those checks to her mother he can finally feel like his child is benefiting from it where for years we knew that she wasn't I guess when they receive the support for so long they are use to the extra income and when it finally comes to an end they are so choked up with accepting the fact that the gravy train has ended. Now of course i am not speaking about all receipents just the selfish ones.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X